Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Stock intake limitations

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If this is the case, why ask?

Okay..... Have you heard of the para Olympics? It used to be said it cant be done but I still don't know how they can enter you into the brainless class in the Chess Championship?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
8.5k for a replica........................ The orginals are going for 10-18 that's obvioulsy a money grab.
When a FAST LSX can make more than a Group A it seems pointless spending more than 2k on a replica.

I doubt you'll find a genuine Grp A manifold for under 20k.

As much as I agree that the price tag seems exxy, they have had to make their own molds and tooling from reverse engineering, someone didn't simply hand over some drawing. Time and money and on something that will have low turnover cost per unit is not going to be cheap.

I also wouldn't judge what the Grp A manifold is capable off based on the original Grp A VN Commodore, those were simple Homologation models to get those parts into the race car. IF you want to see what those manifolds can do, have a look at a Perkins motor.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Okay..... Have you heard of the para Olympics? It used to be said it cant be done but I still don't know how they can enter you into the brainless class in the Chess Championship?

I can see you're jealous they'll enter me in the brainless class of the chess championship and they won't enter you....Must mean I'm a little smarter than you....

So does that mean the king checkmated the queen?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I doubt you'll find a genuine Grp A manifold for under 20k.

As much as I agree that the price tag seems exxy, they have had to make their own molds and tooling from reverse engineering, someone didn't simply hand over some drawing. Time and money and on something that will have low turnover cost per unit is not going to be cheap.

I also wouldn't judge what the Grp A manifold is capable off based on the original Grp A VN Commodore, those were simple Homologation models to get those parts into the race car. IF you want to see what those manifolds can do, have a look at a Perkins motor.

You know where their performace comes from over any lower intake?
Any curve in the intake adds a flow restriction. Why do you think tunnel rams work so good.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you seen the inside of a Group A manifold? Have a look at the trumpet/runner angle into the head. The Grp A manifold is basically a cross ram manifold but with a common plenum and 2 throttle bodies.

You mention that curves add intake restrictions and then consider your own thoughts about trying to make the Banana's work.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Have you seen the inside of a Group A manifold? Have a look at the trumpet/runner angle into the head. The Grp A manifold is basically a cross ram manifold but with a common plenum and 2 throttle bodies.

You mention that curves add intake restrictions and then consider your own thoughts about trying to make the Banana's work.

Yes but if you increase CA by x % it should be the same as long as the curve stays the same.

If you went from a very curved runner to a not so curved runner you cannot apply my math because it throws it all out of wack.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bloody work of art

524869_491412950895564_789638453_n-640w.jpg

I bet you could see the valve if you looked down the trumpet.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Bloody work of art

524869_491412950895564_789638453_n-640w.jpg

I bet you could see the valve if you looked down the trumpet.

I bet you could see a house deposit too.

But yea that would be good if it was readily available and not cheap but attainable.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yup which is why I'm kicking myself when I could of had one for just over NZ$3k about 20 years ago.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I just realised like I thought my math is all wrong lol. I was saying 70% increases when those increases are actually 30%.

So if you bore out the intake going from 41 to 47mm or 132mm square to 173mm square CS it's only a 30% increase.

I now wonder if you would see a linear increase in CFM or would you get say a 50% increase in CFM from 30% CS increase?

Also I was thinking if you added tapper at the entrance you could thin the walls down more because the two adjacent runners would be thicker and add support.