Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Mokman78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I got my letter last night and is now booked for 16/09... I would suggest getting in quick as they will probably get slammed!

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
On my letter it said parts are now available. So just rang local dealer and he said parts are not in yet maybe next week. Also said it should take about 4 hrs just to replace the wiring and realignment no rack replacement.

Fitzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 VF wagon
I received a phone call then an email from Holden. It was booked in for today. When I got out to the dealership they said the car was ready but had no paperwork as to what was done or the parts that were put in because the technicians ‘didn’t write it down’. They said they’d email it to me tomorrow. Rather peculiar since they’re just the intermediary between me and Holden and would have to account to Holden for what they do to these cars. I was told they’d replaced 7 out of 8 parts of the steering rack (probably figurative - how many parts does a steering rack have?) and had put in gold connector pins as per previous posts.

Stefan Nowak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Calais V Sportwagon
Mine went in today at Castle Hill Holden. All done. No fuss.

coolshades

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
I just bought a 2014 Redline how do I know if the works been done? Or any of the recalls?

Cheers Peter.

Stefan Nowak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Calais V Sportwagon
I just bought a 2014 Redline how do I know if the works been done? Or any of the recalls?

Cheers Peter.
It's unlikely the steering recall has been done, Holden are just getting to them now.

You can go to the dealer with your VIN, they'll check if there are outstanding recalls.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Mine was done today (Mon. Sept. 16th). Car went in at 7.30 am and I got a call and text at 3.15 pm to tell me it was ready. According to the work receipt the rack and power steering assembly was changed. The only things I noticed were that the buggers wrecked my seat settings (I hate that!) and somehow someone managed to scuff the front bumper bar. That made me as mad as a cut snake! By the time I got home it was too late to zoom back to the service department and blast them for the damage. Anyway...I used a bit of Turtle swirl removal polish and the mark is 99.99% gone. My hint to you all is use your phone to video record the cosmetic condition of your car before you let these blokes do anything to it.

Some observations... The steering feels no different to before the service. There is no noticeable difference under the bonnet.

The service reception guy told me that the service department is now booked out for three months straight and I was lucky to book in and have the service so early. So don't be surprised if, when you try and book in, you are told you'll have to wait some weeks.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Mine was done today (Mon. Sept. 16th). Car went in at 7.30 am and I got a call and text at 3.15 pm to tell me it was ready. According to the work receipt the rack and power steering assembly was changed. The only things I noticed were that the buggers wrecked my seat settings (I hate that!) and somehow someone managed to scuff the front bumper bar. That made me as mad as a cut snake! By the time I got home it was too late to zoom back to the service department and blast them for the damage. Anyway...I used a bit of Turtle swirl removal polish and the mark is 99.99% gone. My hint to you all is use your phone to video record the cosmetic condition of your car before you let these blokes do anything to it.

Some observations... The steering feels no different to before the service. There is no noticeable difference under the bonnet.

The service reception guy told me that the service department is now booked out for three months straight and I was lucky to book in and have the service so early. So don't be surprised if, when you try and book in, you are told you'll have to wait some weeks.

You can always ask for a condition report before you put your car in -you and the service advisor walk around vehicle and note any damage and it is all written down on paper and I request a copy -never any issues for me.

atimicute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS V V8 MY15 Series 1.5
Hi all i just received the letter today that parts are ready. Does anyone know how long they need the car for.
My Calais V was done on Monday 16th Sep. They had the car ALL day. Not sure why it takes so long but it's done.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The video within the article ‘Comparable to gunshot wound’: Man killed by airbag shrapnel, inquest told is worth watching. Seems some manufacturers insisted they were not impacted only to be dragged kicking and screaming into this recall (@ 2:17)

I think Holden was one company in denial untill forced to recall. Guess this behaviour isn't so unique as this steering issue thread is almost 2 years and 29 pages long (and the issue existed before the threads creation). Sadly it's been a very long and drawn out safety saga and yet it's not a mandatory recall.

It took Holden far too long to identify and acknowledge the seriousness of this issue before appropriate corrective action was taken. As stated in the video, regulators need to take hold of safety recalls and make them mandatory (as is done in other jurasdictions and was done with takata recall).