Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Forg I was reasonably happy with Alto's services as I was actually getting my car serviced there whilst still under warranty.

I had a few things fixed (under warranty) during that period, but then once I had the injectors issue and they decided they would try and fleece me rather than be helpful and address the issue properly with Holden, that was it for me.
It turns out the 5yr warranty as offered by Holden via dealers mid 2015 is actually only still 3yr factory warranty with the remaining 2yrs via Allianz.

A couple of the things I asked to be fixed were a little borderline, you might argue they were cosmetic caused by operator misuse & the ECU might have thrown the ID10T code … but they didn't quibble, just fixed the issues, and no attempt to tell me the Allianz warranty didn't cover them. And I've got no history of servicing there, I get all my servicing done by a really cluey guy up Hornsby way who does all sorts of modded (classics through modern) cars & race cars & also races himself … first the VS and now the VF are quite out-of-place up there, but he's happy to do it. :)

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
It turns out the 5yr warranty as offered by Holden via dealers mid 2015 is actually only still 3yr factory warranty with the remaining 2yrs via Allianz.

A couple of the things I asked to be fixed were a little borderline, you might argue they were cosmetic caused by operator misuse & the ECU might have thrown the ID10T code … but they didn't quibble, just fixed the issues, and no attempt to tell me the Allianz warranty didn't cover them. And I've got no history of servicing there, I get all my servicing done by a really cluey guy up Hornsby way who does all sorts of modded (classics through modern) cars & race cars & also races himself … first the VS and now the VF are quite out-of-place up there, but he's happy to do it. :)
Good one. Yes I've since moved on and back to a local mechanic, so far so good.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
@Forg I’m curious what the fix is (as it’s not a new rack). Can you ask for a copy of the TSB or whatever they call the doc that specifies what the tech must do and what to change? Im also curious if the fix includes gold plated connectors.

@Forg I’m curious what the fix is (as it’s not a new rack). Can you ask for a copy of the TSB or whatever they call the doc that specifies what the tech must do and what to change? Im also curious if the fix includes gold plated connectors.
Hi skylarking on my invoice it says
Carried out campaign gma182193280
Gm92511518 motor kit_p/s asst
That's about all it says

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car is in today with Alto Holden, will try to get a printout of what they did when I pick it up.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ I’d love a copy of the service campaign itself and/or pics of the connector pins....
One can only ask ;)

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ I’d love a copy of the service campaign itself and/or pics of the connector pins....
One can only ask ;)
Will see how I go mate.

Geez they are good. Just got a call saying my car is "almost ready", however they picked up a couple things that need fixing. Needless to say, I said no, I'll sort it out later. I was initially told the car would take all day.

1 - Leaking Air Con condenser pipe. They reconed there is dye residue present around the pipe. Mmmmm, well, I had the condenser replaced a few months ago as I had a stone go through it on a country trip. I spoke to the guy who replaced it for me, he said they (Holden) do that all the time (try to fleece customers), probably just some residue left when he tested it, and to pop in to have a quick check.

2 - Two cracked engine mounts, quote to fix $718. I have not noticed any vibration at all, and just spoke to my mechanic who serviced the car last week. They didn't notice anything either when starting/test drive or during inspection. He said they possibly could be cracked, but they don't replace them until they break. Probably not as expensive to fix as that, as the parts are not too costly, it's just the labour as they have to remove the cross member etc.

Be warned guys, I've had this happen at a different dealer in the past after having a car in for service. They ring you when the car is "almost done" and try to fleece you for extras when in reality nothing needs doing.

Picking up later this afternoon, will report what I can re: steering.

Last edited:

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys, sorry Skylarking, I got held up at work so got there just before they closed to pick up my car. The mechanics were gone and service manager was no where to be found, leaving me with just the service desk staff. I asked what parts were used and what was done, they searched around for the service campaign info or any documentation to do with it, nada. One of the girls reconed they removed the rack and replaced some of the gearing, the mind boggles :confused::confused::confused:

Does not feel any different to drive IMHO.

So the best I can do is give you this which was on my invoice:

GM92511518 MOTOR-KIT-P/S ASST

Didn't stop them from adding in the comments the quote of $714 to fix a so called leaking A/C and regas, and $718 for two new engine mounts :mad:

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ I get really annoyed when they wrongly identify something as faulty when it is not. Documenting such lies if frustrating but get your mechanic to check it out and write a report that it’s ok, just in case the aircon has issues and Holden doesn’t want to warrant it down the track. Same with engine mounts.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Didn't stop them from adding in the comments the quote of $714 to fix a so called leaking A/C and regas, and $718 for two new engine mounts :mad:
At least they'll talk to you … took the car to the same mob for 3 warranty items week-before-last, they didn't have approval by the end of the day for replacement of one item under the turns-out-to-not-be-factory warranty that Holden was offering as a sales incentive mid-2015, they offered me the option of leaving it there 'til they fixed it or taking it back … needed the car, picked it up, they were going to call me when they had the part. I called THEM last week, having received the letter about the steering, figuring to do both … again they were going to get back to me, still nothing. Maybe paying to get a map update might motivate them into action on the warranty stuffs?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... they didn't have approval by the end of the day for replacement of one item under the turns-out-to-not-be-factory warranty that Holden was offering as a sales incentive mid-2015...
If they advertised it as, or told you it was, a factory warranty, then they have misrepresented the product they sold you. This opens them up for a full purchase price refund.
.... paying to get a map update might motivate them into action on the warranty stuffs?
Nah, just reminding them that three attempts to fix a minor fault becomes a major fault under ACL so you are then entitled to ask for a full purchase price refund will motivate them to get off their rear and do something.

Problem is that there are less and less new commodore V8’s around so getting a full pp refund and going out and buying another would get harder as time goes by :p