Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swapping Steering Wheels

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
my next move would be using the good ol' trusty cold chisel , for that bolt a 10mm or 12mm wide chisel angled to the left with a good smack will knock it loose ,. yes you will probably want to put a new bolt but i haven't met a bolt i couldn't loosen that way

EDIT : Turn the wheel to full left hand lock so it doesn't move

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
my next move would be using the good ol' trusty cold chisel , for that bolt a 10mm or 12mm wide chisel angled to the left with a good smack will knock it loose ,. yes you will probably want to put a new bolt but i haven't met a bolt i couldn't loosen that way

EDIT : Turn the wheel to full left hand lock so it doesn't move

If this was some rusty project car I would do it...but seems a bit excessive for newish daily...
Will get a mate around and try breaker bar

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
If this was some rusty project car I would do it...but seems a bit excessive for newish daily...
Will get a mate around and try breaker bar
yes totally last resort , but once the centre is gone there's no choice other than welding a nut on it
EDIT : Don't worry , i have had to replace more than just a bolt because i stuffed something by trying things myself , but that's something i accept because of it

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I'm currently trying to fix the backseat passenger side bolster i broke removing my rear side windows in my wagon , i bought the main part thinking it was all one piece then found the upholstery is seperate , i some how managed to rip that , I have now found after buying both the foam main part and also the upholstery that Holden no longer have stock for the upholstered part i need for my model , I'm up to $400 and still don't have the correct upholstered piece , iv'e called every wrecker in SEQLD , will start on NSW wreckers next day off.
A new bolt is a cheap way out

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
yes totally last resort , but once the centre is gone there's no choice other than welding a nut on it
EDIT : Don't worry , i have had to replace more than just a bolt because i stuffed something by trying things myself , but that's something i accept because of it

The centre is still good. I stopped after 30 seconds of no movement with impact wrench. Did not strip it or anything. If breaker bar does not work will visit my local guy and ask him to attack it with the biggest rattle gun he's got :)

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
That Ryobi impact wrench only goes up to 360Nm of torque which isn't a lot. A good air and even cordless impact should get it off.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
That Ryobi impact wrench only goes up to 360Nm of torque which isn't a lot. A good air and even cordless impact should get it off.

Yeah...if it does not work get bigger tool :)

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Try an Impact Driver maybe go old skool , worth a try and a lot cheaper , it needs a good sharp shock to break the seal , one of these plus your impact driver might do it

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Try an Impact Driver maybe go old skool , worth a try and a lot cheaper , it needs a good sharp shock to break the seal , one of these plus your impact driver might do it

Might not be a good idea if its a collapsible steering column.