Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft Centering bush

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
Hey I have a Holden Commodore series 1 VT with a 5 L manual Getrag gearbox, My rubber coupling on the tail shaft basically keeps exploding I’ve been told because I don’t have a centring bush does anyone have a diagram of what it looks like and where exactly it goes, an does anyone know where I can buy a new coupling an centring bush from. I tried a few parts shops around townsville, I’ve been told you can only buy them as genuine parts, I tried Holden they said there’s none in Australia. I have seen a few online but They’re not for a V8. if I new the dimensions of the bush I could get one made. Any ideas…

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I have seen a few online but They’re not for a V8.
Would be worth trying that one out, the two Getrag boxes are pretty similar. Any engineering place (or pretty much any body with any lathe) can spin one up for you if you can't find one and it shouldn't cost much. Failing that you could start looking at different sized spigot bearings and modifying them.

If you stick "getrag 290 tailshaft bush" into google a bunch of places in the states that sell them come up.

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
Would be worth trying that one out, the two Getrag boxes are pretty similar. Any engineering place (or pretty much any body with any lathe) can spin one up for you if you can't find one and it shouldn't cost much. Failing that you could start looking at different sized spigot bearings and modifying them. I have a machine shop where I work
Would be worth trying that one out, the two Getrag boxes are pretty similar. Any engineering place (or pretty much any body with any lathe) can spin one up for you if you can't find one and it shouldn't cost much. Failing that you could start looking at different sized spigot bearings and modifying them.
Okay so you think the V6 one might fit, I have a machine shop where I work I can get someone to make me 1

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
I’ve got a series 1 VT Commodore with a 5 L in it my tail shaft coupling is starting to separate it’s the third one in about 12 months can someone tell me the reason why

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Maybe incorrect fitting, there are several ways they can go on but only one is correct. Lead foot perhaps.;)

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
coupling? or center hanger bearing?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So just to clarify, you are talking about the bush in the transmission extension housing?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
coupling? or center hanger bearing?
If it is the bearing, it's likely an aftermarket one has been fitted. Aftermarket are junk on the most part. A genuine bearing should last 15-20 years.

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
So just to clarify, you are talking about the bush in the transmission extension housing?
I’m not exactly sure whether it goes in the transmission or the end of the tail shaft but you can buy a coupling with the centring bush but that’s only for a V6 mines a V8. I was told a centring bush will stop my rubber coupling from separating.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Why don't you post a picture up of your tailshaft, by using a google search...

Here's the centre section of a VT tailshaft..

The section that has the 6 bolts is called a CV and it comes in 2 different diametres...Just get the diametre and you will find these anywhere.

So if you can do this search and post a picture up, it will help people help you

Attachments

• 1652428541884.png
    1652428541884.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 114