Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tech 2 Australian software cards available. (genuine GM - not chinese)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Brett_JJJ, i've heard some people say that they don't need BCM codes to program new key heads, but with my Tech2 I definately did. Is what they say true and do different model cards have different security settings, or are they wrong?

Ive programmed extra keys on VT and VX models before without needing their BCM security codes with card version 140.000.. I havent tried programming keys with any newer versions. To program a new key, choose "add extra key" from the tech 2 menu, and see how it goes then. You need a working keyfob to disarm the immobiliser when adding extra keys. If the immobiliser is still armed whilst you try to add new extra keys, the tech 2 will not let you proceed. You only need the vehicles security code when choosing the "all new" key programming option on the tech 2 -(on VT and VX mdoels).
"All new" option will cancel any old keyfobs that are already programmed for the car. Dont use this option if you have spare keys (spare keyfobs) for you car, otherwise the spare keys will no longer work( remotes and immobiliser wont work any longer)

Yeah, the VY models must be different. When I choose to go to program key, it asks for either the BCM security code, or TIS access, I cant remember which one. After talking about this stuff in the above few posts, I called alled my mate at holden and I have to pick up the BCM security codes for the VY tomorrow. I will be able to then see if it still has the "all new' and "add extra" key programming options like the earlier models.

Last edited:

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Trying to program a key for the VE now with version 142. All new to this, so I don't really know what I'm doing. There's the 2 options "add extra" or "all new". "All new" wants TIS approval. The "add extra" seems to be working, but requires ALL other keys. Goes through the first one, then asks to put the second programmed key in and turn ignition on in 10sec. I fail at that point as I didn't get the second key. I contacted the previous owner, and hopefully they'll have the second key still. I should find out Monday (owned by a company, the one who knows all wasn't there today) and we'll see if it does definitely work, but looks promising (well if after several years they still have it and can find it). Adding a new fob is a separate procedure and worked easily. Pity there doesn't seem to be a "remove key" and "remove fob" option, as that'd solve all my dramas. But it seems the only way to do that is by using the "all new" function that requires TIS for the key. Didn't really look into removing the missing fob, it may be there somewhere. The key was under the immobilizer, the fob was under BCM section.

Sorry - fob was under something like "RFA" or multi-purpose antenna or something similar. Brain's working just enough to know I made an error, but insomnia not helping me figure out exactly what it was. I'll have to correct again when I next have a play (probably not a good time to do it now).

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You are gonna need TIS apporoval to add a new key(all new). All new key option will remove any old programmed keyfobs from the system when the new one is being programmed, so any old keyfobs will no longer work.. To add the extra keys, it looks like your gonna need all the old working keyfobs for the vehicle. I dont see any way around this. You could go to holden and pay for this one, get them to program it with the all new option, then you will be right to add extra keys at any time yourself, as the first key programmed by holden will be the only key that you will be need if you ever want to add any extra keys later on....

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
You are gonna need TIS apporoval to add a new key(all new). All new key option will remove any old programmed keyfobs from the system when the new one is being programmed, so any old keyfobs will no longer work.. To add the extra keys, it looks like your gonna need all the old working keyfobs for the vehicle. I dont see any way around this. You could go to holden and pay for this one, get them to program it with the all new option, then you will be right to add extra keys at any time yourself, as the first key programmed by holden will be the only key that you will be need if you ever want to add any extra keys later on....
Im beginning to think my tech2 is being special. Ill take a pic of the options later this arvo.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im beginning to think my tech2 is being special. Ill take a pic of the options later this arvo.

Yeah, Im interested in seeing them, I havent seen the option you talked about before on mine. I tried to take pics of the tech 2 screens once before using a half decent quality digital camera, I tried every setting after the auto settings wouldnt work, I had heaps of trouble with glare showing up on the tech 2 screen in all the pics, couldnt even see the screen in the pics because of glare from lights or the flash or whatever, so I just gave up with it in the end, maybe I just suck heaps when it comes to photography.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yeah, Im interested in seeing them, I havent seen the option you talked about before on mine. I tried to take pics of the tech 2 screens once before using a half decent quality digital camera, I tried every setting after the auto settings wouldnt work, I had heaps of trouble with glare showing up on the tech 2 screen in all the pics, couldnt even see the screen in the pics because of glare from lights or the flash or whatever, so I just gave up with it in the end, maybe I just suck heaps when it comes to photography.
Haha,yeah the glare off the sun will do that. I do most work on the bench setup so pictures dont come out bad even on a phone.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This was done inside, but I also tried it outside with the similar results.. Maybe it was just the camera after all. Im gonna try it with a phone later, Howd you go with them pics?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
This was done inside, but I also tried it outside with the similar results.. Maybe it was just the camera after all. Im gonna try it with a phone later, Howd you go with them pics?
These are the options I have to choose from for 2003 VY:
oq8e.jpg

When clicking the program remote key, it asks for the bcm number, then programs the key!.

Edit: My bad on the massive image, thought I scaled it down, obviously not!.

Possibly VT/VX commys have different options? Or maybe different Holden card versions?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just went out and checked mine, as I couldnt quite remember exactly what the options were that showed up in the VY, and the same menu appears as in your pic, this is different to the VR/VS and VT/VX models when programming keys. These earlier models only ask for the vehicles security code when programming keys with the "all new" key programming option..
Maybe the tech 2 gives you the two menu options "all new" and "add extra", once youve entered the vehicles security code. Its gotta still have the option to add extra spare keys to existing keys, or the option to replace any programmed keys
(in casees where keys are lost or stolen etc), with brand new keys.
Ive gotta see my mate next week when hes back at work to get my security code, so I will be able to see if this is the case or not..

If the VE models still give you the "all new" and "add extra" options when programming keys (see post 52), then youd think the VY would still have both options.

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I'll open up that menu again, I was pretty sure it just programmed it from memory once the bcm key was entered. I'll do it on bench to make sure there isn't another menu behind it. Unless I've completely forgotten about a extra step that iv done!

I'd assume if the VE's still have it. The VY/VZ's still have it.