Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

THE definitave V6 Conversion into VB, VC, VH & VK Thread (please post your knowledge)

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Project VH

So what is the plan you have for you VH sounds pretty much a similar job to what i have done but using VP parts. I found the easiest way to do this was to rip out the Motor, Trans, driveshaft, complete wiring looms front to back etc and swap over to the goods from the donar car.
Being a VP i think this is the last model that can swap the whole front end, struts k frame brakes and all that without a problem, i beleave that the VR onwards you would have to change bits to fit in the V6. With mine i swapped over the full wiring in the car to make it a piece of piss to plug up to the Engine and trans and saved the problem of working out the way around the dash cluster as i have gone with the VN cluster as well.
I also wanted to have the wipers on a seperate arm to the blinkers like the way the VR onwards have so i replaced the VH steering column to the VN this making the indicator switch a plug in job, the wipers took a little playing with as the wipers on the VN, VP is up near the cluster but from memory the plug in the original switch plugs straight to the VR/S arm now on the column.
Using the diagrams and tracing the different wires for the demister, hazards etc did give a few headaches but we got there, the biggest problem was from the VR/S headlight switch i used as without the use of another relay in the loom i had it all working but i had low beam on all the time even when it was switched off.
If you need help along the way let me know and ill try to help out where i can, feel free to look on the "street commodores" site forum pages under "project VH" i have a few pics there that may help.
Photo1697.jpg

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
So what is the plan you have for you VH sounds pretty much a similar job to what i have done but using VP parts. I found the easiest way to do this was to rip out the Motor, Trans, driveshaft, complete wiring looms front to back etc and swap over to the goods from the donar car.
Being a VP i think this is the last model that can swap the whole front end, struts k frame brakes and all that without a problem, i beleave that the VR onwards you would have to change bits to fit in the V6. With mine i swapped over the full wiring in the car to make it a piece of piss to plug up to the Engine and trans and saved the problem of working out the way around the dash cluster as i have gone with the VN cluster as well.
I also wanted to have the wipers on a seperate arm to the blinkers like the way the VR onwards have so i replaced the VH steering column to the VN this making the indicator switch a plug in job, the wipers took a little playing with as the wipers on the VN, VP is up near the cluster but from memory the plug in the original switch plugs straight to the VR/S arm now on the column.
Using the diagrams and tracing the different wires for the demister, hazards etc did give a few headaches but we got there, the biggest problem was from the VR/S headlight switch i used as without the use of another relay in the loom i had it all working but i had low beam on all the time even when it was switched off.
If you need help along the way let me know and ill try to help out where i can, feel free to look on the "street commodores" site forum pages under "project VH" i have a few pics there that may help.

Hi Mate,
Yeah it will be everything from a VP. So far i have the whole motor, Trans & Front end including struts all out in 1 piece still. I also have the tailshaft, Steering Rack and Engine bay wiring loom.
Next week i'll be getting the Radiator, Overflow tanks, Fueltank and Shifter.

I wanted to use the dash like yours (I read your project VH thread) but the dash wiring is such a Bitch!!!!! I cant pull it out without removing the entire dash and that is not something im prepared to waste more hours doing.

I might change my tune when im actually pulling it out if it makes my life easier in the long run with wiring and the speedo etc.....

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hi Mate,
Yeah it will be everything from a VP. So far i have the whole motor, Trans & Front end including struts all out in 1 piece still. I also have the tailshaft, Steering Rack and Engine bay wiring loom.
Next week i'll be getting the Radiator, Overflow tanks, Fueltank and Shifter.

I wanted to use the dash like yours (I read your project VH thread) but the dash wiring is such a Bitch!!!!! I cant pull it out without removing the entire dash and that is not something im prepared to waste more hours doing.

I might change my tune when im actually pulling it out if it makes my life easier in the long run with wiring and the speedo etc.....
Youll have to put up a few pics of how its going will be nice to look at. When i pulled the dash apart to fit the wiring i had undid all but the very top part where the screen vents are, the glovebox just has a pin in the back driver side corner that slides out to the left, the square heater control surround fitting is just clipped to the dash, i think that there was just three screws that held the cluster cover on.
There are a series of screwsthat aloow the rest of the dash to come off (about a dozen give or take, oh and there are two i think in the air vents both ends of the dash, i may be able to send a few pics if you like)
Otherwise i dont think there is anything else to stop the VH loom from being pulled out if you end up doing that way or you could maybe looking under the dash trace the wires back to each switch etc to splice in the VN stuff.
I still think youll have a better time pulling down the whole dash but up to you, after the first time undoing and refitting the dash back up it tends to be a quick job taking around ten minutes ech side approx.
If you can when you put the motor in i found on another site this bloke left the motor box and front end all bolted up but undid it from the car and lifted the front of the car up and away from the motor and then did the reverse to put it into the VK he was building may help anyway let us know how you go and ill help where i can cheers.

Shaun_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VK
hey guys, i started this conversion on my vk two days ago. I got a Vn wagon . . 5 speed witch im happy about. Its my first major poject seeing as i am only 17. Just wanted to ask a few quesions about the wiring. . its my under standing that there are two differnt looms in the VN one that attaches to the comp and goes through the engine bay and one that has all interiour controls and fuse/relays on it. i havent got a converstion kit but i do have a auto lecky who will be doing my wiring adapting will i need both of the wiring looms out of the VN for this?

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
Im of the understanding that you dont need both, But i havent started putting mine in yet. So far i can see a few sensor wires that run back up to the dash are the only things you need to join with your vk loom if youre keeping the vk dash.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Just a few pics of the wiring job to the VH
Photo0616.jpg

P4180266.jpg

P2200011.jpg

VH37.jpg

Shaun_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VK
So i will need the Fuse box side of the loom as well? . . because at the moment i have got the hole engine bay loom and computer out and i have fully removed the VN dash and got the hole loom out of that including the inside fuse box and engine bay fuse box there was a bunch of wires running under the drivers side door scurting that i unpluged from the major loom as i asumed they were for tail lights ect will i need those to and also there are still a few wires left over in the dash witch i think are for the heater or something? . . will i need those wires too?

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
hey guys, i started this conversion on my vk two days ago. I got a Vn wagon . . 5 speed witch im happy about. Its my first major poject seeing as i am only 17. Just wanted to ask a few quesions about the wiring. . its my under standing that there are two differnt looms in the VN one that attaches to the comp and goes through the engine bay and one that has all interiour controls and fuse/relays on it. i havent got a converstion kit but i do have a auto lecky who will be doing my wiring adapting will i need both of the wiring looms out of the VN for this?

On the auto VNs there is a loom (main wireing harness) that runs through the fire wall on the drivers side that has stuff like the dash cluster plugs,fuses, heater control, under hood relays, fusible links, horn wire and head lights.
The other loom in the bay is the V6 harness for stuff like the computer, injectors and crank angle senor etc.this loom runs thriugh the fire wall behind the glove box.
There is also the battery loom that joins the battery to the alt and starter and joins to the main wiring harness connector.
As i told "Mister VP" depending if you want to go this way you can swap the whole VK loom for VN, and you will need both looms for the car to work as well make sure you have the right computer too like if you are running a 5 speed use a 5 speed man computer not the auto one and vice versa so i have read.
On this thread there is a wiring diagram i found that some one put up with splicing VK into VN looms may be of help but as i said before not totally sure if this is a correct diagram so dont hold be to it maybe check with the auto elec. cheers

Shaun_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VK
I have got a man computer, i dont understand those diagrams but i take it as what your saying is with the main wiring harness if i take it to a auto elecy he will be able to mix it with the Vk loom. I plan on keeping the Vk dash.

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
I have got a man computer, i dont understand those diagrams but i take it as what your saying is with the main wiring harness if i take it to a auto elecy he will be able to mix it with the Vk loom. I plan on keeping the Vk dash.

Yes he will. And the loom that goes to the rear of the car is just for plate lights, Brake lights, reverse lights and fuel pump.

Is your vk injected currently?