Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Last Commodore - ZB 4 Cyl Petrol Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Different approach here. How might the ZB have fared if it had been launched a few years back, as an Insignia, instead of the Malibu? Now, there's a Holden that really flopped. The Insignia would have affected VF sales, but might have fared better against the Camry etc, with VF remaining for the large sedan market. Ford did it with the Mondeo. I know the Mondeo hasn't set the world on fire, but the VF outsold the FG. The original Insignia didn't sell well but it was overpriced. Perhaps if it could have sold alongside the VF, at the right pricing, perhaps even replacing the Evoke, it might have had a chance of establishing itself before the VF died. We'll never know.
Not bagging your suggestion but ‘Mondeo hasn’t set the world on fire’ is an understatement..Ford sold 18 last month and I think from memory that has been typical of recent months...why bother?

Selling an Insignia alongside the VF may have been worth a try but probably only with a very concerted advertising campaign...even then I couldn’t see it taking sales from the Camry for example and would probably have more likely taken a handful of sales away from the VF.

I think it would have been pretty much like Toyota trying to convince Australia that the Avalon, Aurion etc were full size realistic family alternatives to the Commodore and Falcon...not often Toyota fails with their marketing but their push on this theme over the years failed miserably.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Hows the 2.0 turbo go with 4 or 5 people and luggage in it?
I found the big advantage of the 2.0 was its low weight. Add ~ 400 kg's of people and luggage to any car and the gloss comes off the performance and handling, doesn't matter what it is.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Yes, I guess my question is what degree is the drive compromised. Does the car feel like it's struggling.
My experience with V6/V8 Commodores ( pre ZB) is that although the extra weight is noticeable, the driving experience isn't greatly effected. (Normal driving!)

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
How might the ZB have fared if it had been launched a few years back, as an Insignia, instead of the Malibu?

The previous Insignia never sold because nobody knew it existed, probably not even Holden dealers, such was the public awareness of it. If they did know, they obviously didn't like it over a VF. (or a Camry or Mazda)
And as it is now clear to us, the ZB Insignia was not a last minute decision to make it a ZB Commodore. GM/Holden could have had it in showrooms a few weeks after the release in Europe and a couple of months before the VF finished. But GM CBFd.
I walked into the local Holden dealer a few years ago, (can't remember why) and saw a black convertible at the back of the showroom. My the 9 year grandson saw it and asked what it was. I replied 'a Ferrari', he said 'Bullshit, it's got a Holden badge'. It was a Cascada. Who would have known about that.

So, congratulations again to Holden advertising gurus. You helped kill any of the non-Commodore models which may have been a good proposition, along with alienating previous bogan, uninformed, ignorant customers by targeting minority, hipster, tech savvy millennials.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Yes, I guess my question is what degree is the drive compromised. Does the car feel like it's struggling.
My experience with V6/V8 Commodores ( pre ZB) is that although the extra weight is noticeable, the driving experience isn't greatly effected. (Normal driving!)

Honest truth is the drive experience with just me in the LT 2.0 the performance and handling felt very lively, the car performed extremely well, torque delivery down low is very good and at high revs too, very wide spread of torque. No discernable torque steer even when getting right "up it"
Overall drive experience was much more lively and frisky than say a VF V6.

Couple of times I had two fairly heavy passengers, (about 200 kg's in total). Performance and handling then became like a normal Australian made V6 Commodore with one person in it.

The 9 speed auto in the ZB, (regardless of model variant) never runs out of answers as there's always the right gear for the requested task so the 2.0 never feels like it is struggling and neither does the V6 but the little 2.0 turbo revs out with turbine smoothness and feels the much sweeter engine.
(Remember I own the 235kw Calais V so have no vested interest in saying the 2.0 turbo is the better engine)
Nice bonus is for any given use I found the 2.0 turbo about 20% more fuel efficient, (although does need 95 Octane to perform at its best, v 91 Octane fuel for the V6)

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Calling out a mod? good choice!

Why the **** would I drive a car that has no practical purpose for me? (that been a rhetorical question means it doesn't require an answer).

If you want to start a thread and give your opinion that is fine but keep it to your personal opinion or it will be your last thread.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.