Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Last Commodore - ZB 4 Cyl Petrol Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
OP's post edited.

Last edited by a moderator:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Just to add my thought's before this thread goes the way of the Australian car market, I've driven both the 4cyl and 6AWD ZB. I've said before that I thought they were a good drive and I like them. How do they compare to my VF Redline, or Motorsport They don't. Nor did i expect them to. They're not enthusiasts cars. They're just cars. I'd own one as a daily commuter though. Which is not why I bought any of our VF's...

As far as ZB quality goes i thought they were quite good. Though the paint was not great (hire cars scratched to buggery, to be fair). I also thought they felt a bit light, not as secure a fealing as sitting in a VF on the road. I also prefer the VF interior. It's like my favourite pair of Levi's, it just fits me well.

The AWD in the 6 was good. Not so the steering or the engine, which felt like it really needed the extra cogs it has over the VF SV6. The 4 was surprisingly spritely, but front wheel drive cars are not my thing. I found the handling on wet roads was not great. Typical of FWD cars in my experience. I freaking hate torque steer! I've probably said before that the 6 was a better drive than a VF SV6. Mainly due to AWD and 8spd auto. But after driving one in the wet, I no longer think so. I've spent more time in our various SV6's of late. I'd forgotten just how good they are...

Getting into a ZB reminds me of getting into my Wife's 2018 Astra, and not just because I like the functionality of a good hatchback! No. They have a similar look and feel. Driving the ZB is more like driving the Astra than a Commodore. A proper Commodore. Getting out of the ZB after a 600k long drive also remined me of doing the same in the Astra. It's ok. But i wished i'd taken the VF. Great long haul tourers.

I like both the 4 and the 6 ZB's. Though certainly neither would leave me drooling, caressing the curves and spruiking to the masses about my autophilia. But I think I'd choose to take a VF SV6 over either.

Last edited:

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
Just to add my thought's before this thread goes the way of the Australian car market, I've driven both the 4cyl and 6AWD ZB. I've said before that I thought they were a good drive and I like them. How do they compare to my VF Redline, or Motorsport They don't. Nor did i expect them to. They're not enthusiasts cars. They're just cars. I'd own one as a daily commuter though. Which is not why I bought any of our VF's...

As far as ZB quality goes i thought they were quite good. Though the paint was not great (hire cars scratched to buggery, to be fair). I also thought they felt a bit light, not as secure a fealing as sitting in a VF on the road. I also prefer the VF interior. It's like my favourite pair of Levi's, it just fits me well.

The AWD in the 6 was good. Not so the steering or the engine, which felt like it really needed the extra cogs it has over the VF SV6. The 4 was surprisingly spritely, but front wheel drive cars are not my thing. I found the handling on wet roads was not great. Typical of FWD cars in my experience. I freaking hate torque steer! I've probably said before that the 6 was a better drive than a VF SV6. Mainly due to AWD and 8spd auto. But after driving one in the wet, I no longer think so. I've spent more time in our various SV6's of late. I'd forgotten just how good they are...

Getting into a ZB reminds me of getting into my Wife's 2018 Astra, and not just because I like the functionality of a good hatchback! No. They have a similar look and feel. Driving the ZB is more like driving the Astra than a Commodore. A proper Commodore. Getting out of the ZB after a 600k long drive also remined me of doing the same in the Astra. It's ok. But i wished i'd taken the VF. Great long haul tourers.

I like both the 4 and the 6 ZB's. Though certainly neither would leave me drooling, caressing the curves and spruiking to the masses about my autophilia. But I think I'd choose to take a VF SV6 over either.

I am not knowledgeable about VF Redline , but when I quickly googled it, it didn’t seem to have V6 Redline.. it seemed to be a v8 with massive kw 340 and 570 nm .. if so, it’s not a comparison at all with my ZB 4

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I am not knowledgeable about VF Redline , but when I quickly googled it, it didn’t seem to have V6 Redline.. it seemed to be a v8 with massive kw 340 and 570 nm .. if so, it’s not a comparison at all with my ZB 4
That's what i said? Which is why I compared the ZB4 with the SV6.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
Popcorn, popcorn anyone? This could get interesting. Over to you Tezza....

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I had no hope because I tried to take on the world in raving about what I call my Goldilocks car, and when I got the heat

I think you'd get less hassle if you eased back on the verbose language a bit. In fact the whole wall of text reads like it was written by an AI trying to write a car review.

Keep it simple and state what you enjoy about your car, and try not to compare it to a model you know has a lot of support here.
You may think its the best thing since sliced bread, but be prepared for differing opinions.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
The vast majority of people bagging the ZB have never driven it, the V6 or 4 cylinder turbo.
The vast majority of people who have driven the ZB are very impressed by it.
A large number of independent reviews that I have read have commented that they prefer the turbo 4 over the V6, this is despite the V6 being AWD and making 235 kw's, considerably more than an Australian made V6 Commodore. They have no vested interest in saying this, and neither do I, they have driven the entire range, I have driven the LT extensively and my V6 Calais V.

Think about it, if independent reviewers are saying the 4 cyl turbo is a cracker drive and so am I and there's no vested interest then maybe there's something in this ?

Engine and torque outputs are one thing, the efficiency and effectiveness of the driveline quite another and the GM 9 speed auto is widely acclaimed as an exception piece on engineering.
The assembly standards of the ZB are typical German quality and in a completely different league to anything I have ever owned made in Australia, (of which I have owned a huge number over the years)

And finally, if they made a ZB with the turbo 4 that had all vast array of technology and equipment in my Calais V, I would have bought that car instead of mine. A lot of people just don't get it, or want to understand that when you take ~ 200 kg's mass out of a car, it completely changes the characteristics of the car. Its far lighter, more nimble, chuck-able and just an absolute delight to drive.
The 2.0 turbo is an exceptional modern engine, built incredibly strong and is turbine smooth.

Very few people on here have had the opportunity to drive both extensively and my opinion is based on 7 weeks use of an LT 2.0 and 1 years ownership of my V6 Calais V. It has crossed my mind to trade my V6 Calais V for a Calais 2.0 but the level of extra equipment in the V6 is too much to forgo. I have said it several time's before, I think the pick of the range is the RS 2.0 turbo. Huge amount of car for very modest money.

I've driven VF Redline, VF Calais, owned a VX Calais V8, owned XR6, XR6 Turbo, FPV F6 x 2, FPV GT-P, Chrysler SRT8 and now my ZB Calais V.
ZB in all forms is a very good drive.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Different approach here. How might the ZB have fared if it had been launched a few years back, as an Insignia, instead of the Malibu? Now, there's a Holden that really flopped. The Insignia would have affected VF sales, but might have fared better against the Camry etc, with VF remaining for the large sedan market. Ford did it with the Mondeo. I know the Mondeo hasn't set the world on fire, but the VF outsold the FG. The original Insignia didn't sell well but it was overpriced. Perhaps if it could have sold alongside the VF, at the right pricing, perhaps even replacing the Evoke, it might have had a chance of establishing itself before the VF died. We'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.