Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the most ridiculous thing i've heard from a dealer! Felt offended...

wayneoVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina
what a crock of ****... you have paid hard earned money for the car and want it to be rattle free..... 3000ks bullshit.... id report him to head office ... hes got better things to do with his technicians ..... FFS .

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Interesting...

To me the VE and the VF holds a lot of resemblance as far the body that I think there is some that you can check real quick and cost nothing.

On my VE/G8 the door striker rattles and makes noises like the one you described.

I used some electrical insulation tape.

Wrap a couple of loops around the B Pillar striker, just enough to make a snug fit when you close the door.
The door will feel a bit tight when closed.
Take it for a spin and see if you can hear the rattle.

If that is the case and happens more on the driver side is the Striker wears out pretty quick and the door lock has play on it.
With the car flex and the door just barely hanging hits the striker making a rattle sound.

On the Pontiac G8 the solution is to replace the striker but in my case, tape has been doing the trick just fine for the past 4 years and keep going.
The tape acts like a plastic bushing that keeps the lock snugged and soft enough to wear out without damaging nothing else.

Try that as a test and see what happens.

Also it could be as simple as some inside the pillar (tool or hardware) dropped during assembly and is making the sound.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
Uniform??? Maybe go in wearing a department of fair trading uniform....

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Interesting...

To me the VE and the VF holds a lot of resemblance as far the body that I think there is some that you can check real quick and cost nothing.

On my VE/G8 the door striker rattles and makes noises like the one you described.

I used some electrical insulation tape.

Wrap a couple of loops around the B Pillar striker, just enough to make a snug fit when you close the door.
The door will feel a bit tight when closed.
Take it for a spin and see if you can hear the rattle.

If that is the case and happens more on the driver side is the Striker wears out pretty quick and the door lock has play on it.
With the car flex and the door just barely hanging hits the striker making a rattle sound.

On the Pontiac G8 the solution is to replace the striker but in my case, tape has been doing the trick just fine for the past 4 years and keep going.
The tape acts like a plastic bushing that keeps the lock snugged and soft enough to wear out without damaging nothing else.

Try that as a test and see what happens.

Also it could be as simple as some inside the pillar (tool or hardware) dropped during assembly and is making the sound.

thanks Skydrol... i will definitely give it a try.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Funny, didn't you type a post recently that stated your car is now "as it should have been and better than new" somewhere on this forum? It's without question its a matter of "when" not "if" a Holden Commodore has rattles. Mines good, at the moment!

Yep and they have come back again unfortunately...

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Not sure how i can clarify this...
what he told me next completely threw me off.

"i have spend a lot of time on your car trying to find the source of the noise. we did all we could and theres nothing we can do about it. i can't possibly spend the whole day looking at your car. i pay 40-45bucks per hour to the guys. i rather them working on something else that can bring me money. and by the way, warranty for rattles is till 15000km." (good timing... my car's 14800km)

Cheers!
When a service manager or other senior employee at a dealer says something like that, that should be the beginning of the end of their franchise agreement with GM.

Its to GM's shame they don't smack down dealers like that hard. In the highly competitive market that the Australian market is now, there is zero place for that thinking.

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Finally found the cause of the rattling noise! it is the seat belt sensor adaptor that is knocking against the B pillar. Its kinda like your VGA cable size adaptor. managed to stuff some damping material around and the noise is gone...

let me know if you guys are interested in how to do it... (sorry, i forgot to take pictures while i was at it)

next will be to CSI the panel noise in the back.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The sooner dealer networks can be gotten rid of the better.

Tesla are starting this and it would be awesome.