Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I like NVS, has the same sounded out pronunciation of Envyous.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Yep I reckon "Nextgen Vehicle Software (NVS)" is a definite winner!

Andrew

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Extended Network Vehicle Scanner

Enhanced Network Vehicle Scanner

Enhanced New Vehicle Software

Easy Newbie Vehicle Scanner

Envyous Names Very Shitty

Any thoughts? Can be a completely different acronym!

It will never catch on lol.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hmm, bit of an annoying discovery.. went to integrate the bluetooth connectivity into the windows application.. and... I cant connect to Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) devices...

So.. thats kinda put a spanner in the mix.

Iv been testing the bluetooth using a couple iphones so far which has been great!. The intention is to build and IOS and android application eventually hence for the bluetooth 4.0 implementation.

But.. looks like its gone and bit me in the ass.. my laptop has BT 4.0.. so I can see and connect to the device.. but for the life of me cannot seem to find a way to read or write to the bluetooth connection. :computer:

At this moment.. looks like its a wired connection only for windows laptops at this time.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
That's a bit sucky. So you can BT to it from iOS, what about android?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
That's a bit sucky. So you can BT to it from iOS, what about android?

Both android and IOS are fine, they both use bluetooth4.0 (BLE) and its super easy to connect up to with with the phones (Which is what I wanted in the first place, just assumed laptops would connect up just as easy... obviously not!)

I *think* I found a fix for laptops, will need to supply a little smart dongle that communicates to bluetooth devices on PC's.

For those interested, the problem is microsoft didnt roll out any API's that allowed communicating to BLE 4.0 devices until windows 8.1 and windows10, meaning anyone on other systems cannot use the bluetooth integration at all. The next problem is even when attempting to use microsofts APIs, they have been restricted to their store apps style applications and cannot be used to develop windows program... literally spent 12hours yesterday working on it.. annnnnnd... got no-where.

So.. the fix... spend more money (Sigh).
Even though my laptop has 4.0, its essentially useless for what Im trying to do. So a smart BLE dongle is required.
The dongle acts as a middle man between the laptop and connected bluetooth device.. it does all the hard work and allows a very easy to use command set on the PC side to control it.

So looks like the dongles will be ~$19.50 each.. I think. Can be made cheaper but have to order in multiples of 100's or even 1000's to roughly half the price.

First test unit is on the way. Im hoping it works as advertised!

Otherwise, Ill have to hurry up with the PC app and move to IOS/Android apps faster than expected to utilize the bluetooth!.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Phew. My intent is to use my phone or tablet once the app development completes (I am not expecting anytime soon, don't worry). Until then I am happy to use a cable.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Phew. My intent is to use my phone or tablet once the app development completes (I am not expecting anytime soon, don't worry). Until then I am happy to use a cable.

Once the main aspects of the main PC app have been developed, It will be alot faster to move onto the android/iphone apps as the hard part of the coding has been completed. It will pretty much be all designing. Preferably I will be looking into development systems that allow me to program for both types of systems in one hit. Setups like that do exist, I think its 'Angry Birds' that use that setup to distribute for both android and iphones (I think!).

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Why isnt windows develop as easy as android/ios. Can happily detect the bluetooth device and easily read/write information to the cable! (Sigh). Stupid windows...

Have so much temptation to push forward with a phone app.

I spoke to the developers of the USB dongle for the laptop today also, and they believe my usage is the exact purpose of the device so crisis adverted for the PC bluetooth.