Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
just saw an ad for a 2012 VE series2 and the chain has been replaced? I thought these were fixed in later/SIDI models?

Thanks

Snoozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA INT
Nope, just replaced the chains on 2011 LFW, 120k on it. Engine was mildly sludged, particularly right bank. Tensioner was maxed out on that side also, left bank not as bad.

IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE...
Be aware that when Reassembling, the idler sprockets marking can be confusing (more so if you're not real bright like me).
Both sprockets will be marked LB FRONT and RB FRONT, on both sides. Just be certain you have them the right way round, aka the recessed face facing fwd. They will 'fit' both ways, but if they are fitted the wrong way... You will ventilate the timing cover when you start to torque them down!!
It's a simple oversight given that the markings on the sprockets are interchangeable, so just be aware.

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Would a presale inspection pick up these chain problems? Thanks

Edit: is the sludge problem related to the timing chain?

Breezy80

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sportwagon
Hey people,
I have an MY10 sv6 sportwagon I bought in 2015 through a Holden dealership that had done 129k and almost straight away i was having intermittent loss of power issues and engine lights so after a lot of stuffing around through Holden they realized the timing chain needed replacing at 136k. I was told it was replaced with a stronger chain and I wouldn't have any dramas again.
Fast forward to now (211k) and I've been having the same power losses and engine lights so I purchased a code scanner and I'm getting P0008 which is apparently my timing chain again. My car has regularly been serviced and never thrashed yet it seems to have happened again.
Has anyone else had multiple issues with timing chains before or am I just **** outta luck? Any help or information would be great as I can't afford to replace the things again. Would that software fix sort out the problem? How much does that cost? Even if just long enough so I can trade it in somewhere
Thanks in advance

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Would that software fix sort out the problem?

From what I've read here and other forums, the software fix just makes the tolerances wider/more lenient so the computer won't complain as much.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Krankieone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE international
At what kilometer intervals will the timing chain need replacing? I have a 2009 3.6 litre SIDI engine in my SV6 ute that has travelled 186,000kms. I bought the ute at 147,000kms so I am assuming it may have been done at 100,000kms.

I did my wife's 09 ve at about 380 000 it started to throw codes for cam timing so you might have a few km up your sleeve yet

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
So is there any way of checking the camshaft timing without removing the timing chain? Ill take the front off for the fifth time of course to see it all again- joy...
Is there a link count or will it all match up after x amount of revolutions?
I reckon the idlers or the crank gear is dodgy. No matter what I do its either advanced bank A or or out of parameters Bank B?

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
2012 sv6 LFX, Cars done 108,000 kms so far and two days ago upon cold starting the car it made a mechanical rattle which it never did before. Vid link below is exactly what it sounds like.

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
For the SE suburbs of Vic folk we're going to be throwing in Genuine Idler/Crank gears for any jobs booked in before the end of October.
We usually charge $999 for a Genuine GM kit including parts and install, then another $90 for 5w30 oil and coolant flush with filter.
If gears require replacing we charge $99 for these however we're going to throw these in till the end of October on any VZ-VE-VF built after Aug.2006!!
Just quote GEARS99 via facebook, email or give us a call 0415##546##361
We also do free inspections so feel free to give us a shout anytime between 10am-6pm Monday to friday or 12-2pm on Saturday's!

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
I just paid $470 for genuine idlers and crankshaft gear..Luckily HPR 5 is on special atm..:(