Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Fredwillows

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6
How are we fellas?...

First post, just bought a 2006 sv6 with 195000kms, no engine light or any issues I’ve become aware of except serptine belt which needs replaced, had all of its scheduled services done and drives beautifully as far as i can tell, (first commodore iv owned)

Just wondering what the chances are of having a stretched timing chain on my car, can anyone who’s had a ve sv6, alloytec with timing chain issues let me know what to look out for, and how many kms the car had done when it became apparent something was wrong?
Much appreciated I ******* love this car
Cheers

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
Tbh youre not going to know until the codes come up in some cases. Mine coded and never got rattly- hot, cold or otherwise. If it does code, my suggestion would be swap the sensors from on bank to the other, checking the code descriptions. If it changes sides its quite possibly the sensors. If it stays on the same bank, time to look at the chains...When you have the rocker covers off, drill out the drivers side breather a bit bigger. And dont skimp on servicing...oil degradation is the prime killer of these engines. Change oil at LEAST every 7500km. I do mine every 5000 with HPR5 Penrite...

Fredwillows

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sv6
Tbh youre not going to know until the codes come up in some cases. Mine coded and never got rattly- hot, cold or otherwise. If it does code, my suggestion would be swap the sensors from on bank to the other, checking the code descriptions. If it changes sides its quite possibly the sensors. If it stays on the same bank, time to look at the chains...When you have the rocker covers off, drill out the drivers side breather a bit bigger. And dont skimp on servicing...oil degradation is the prime killer of these engines. Change oil at LEAST every 7500km. I do mine every 5000 with HPR5 Penrite...
Thanks mate, I’ll make sure I’m on top of the oil

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Funny thing is after looking at some video on youtube the mechanic there says that under the timing cover its CLEAN and no SLUDGE but still have stretched Chains so what gives as poor oil changes can cause this issue but not in all cases. No doubt the quality of the original chain has to be suss in the first place. If Holden had better chains or a simpler chain System these engine would last 500,000K. Forget the Chains, how does these quad cam engines go with the pistons, the rods, the crank and conrod bearings, the 32 Valves, the oil pump (heard of a few changes) and other critical parts that can kill these engines. What do you think or is the Chains the Killer of these Engines

satbeginner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk group iii
ive watched a video from a supplier saying not to bother turning crank to 8 oclock to do bank 2 just put chains on with bank1 and crank at 4.30 ?is this right?link

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
ive watched a video from a supplier saying not to bother turning crank to 8 oclock to do bank 2 just put chains on with bank1 and crank at 4.30 ?is this right?link
I would use the mace cam alignment tools and not bother touching the crank position. They're dirt cheap and save heaps of angst...

whateverworks4u

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE
Hi all, owner of a 2010 VE Commodore and had to get timing chain replaced 4 years ago at about 96k (cost about $3.6k). Now it seems the problem has reocurred and at 150k. I have been in touch with the dealer mechanic who did the replacement last time for some information and service records and still to hear back from them. This seems ridiculous to have to replace them YET AGAIN. Do I have a case with getting a free replacement?

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
Hey guys, we're doing free oil/coolant from now till the end of Feb! Genuine kit = $999 fully installed! In Hallam, Victoria ;)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys, we're doing free oil/coolant from now till the end of Feb! Genuine kit = $999 fully installed! In Hallam, Victoria ;)
Geeee, pity we don't have a company like you in Brisbane as I think here in Brisbane they charge up to $3.800 just to change the Chains and you have to pay for the oil.

By the way which brand Chains are the Best?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll dread the day if and when I have this issue with stretched chains.
I wonder whats the parentage (0 to 100%) that can get to 300,000 k's without having stretched chains. The trouble is I might change the oil very regular like about 5000K or less with Penrite but what did the previous owner do. For me I normally do 4000K's in one year on one of our cars so I change the Oil at 12 months