Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Glenn D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv 6 z-series
Well i have had a reply from the dealer i bought the ve from and they said as a sign of good will they will do a diagnostic for nothing and send it to holden and i have a good chance of them paying for it" well it maybe a ploy to get my car in so they can pull it apart then i have to get them to fix it regardles,but they have been pretty good so far with small prob's like door acctuators and air con hose ect. ( the more i think about it the sader i get over theese nagging little problems over the years since i 1st drove my lovelly ,2012 sv6 z series home, and of course comming into summer my air con has gone again, raaaaghh))
But it maybe a start ,and a bit of hope for us ve owners at least, unfortunatly i cant put it in till the new year and in the mean time,NO DRIVING AWAY FOR X MASS HOLLIDAYS wich is a shame as i love my krissy holy drive,sum1 say hire car V8 calais yeah!
Merry xmass ,i hope

Glenn D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv 6 z-series
Sorry i know i offer no solution except a winge, but when i get a reply from holden i will post

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
For our timing chain customers in Victoria Revhigh offers a free hotwash then sonic cleaning service normally valued at $250 when we do timing chains. As far as I am aware, Holden does not even offer this service!! :)

Before
2utqbye.jpg

After
apfd07.jpg

Install option 1
Genuine kits are $999 plus $70 for oil and coolant.
3 x chains
1 x heavy duty oil filter
6 x guides
3 x tensioners
1 x Gasket kit
1 x labour
1 x rocker covers and timing cover hotwash/sonic wash
3 x sprockets

(Recommended) Install option 2
$1080 plus $70 for oil and coolant
3 x chains
6 x guides
3 x tensioners
1 x Gasket kit
1 x labour
3 x sprockets
1 x Genuine Oil Pump
Extra warranty coverage

Install option 3 (for heavily sludged vehicles, sump is taken off and hot washed then sonic washed)
$1330 plus $70 for oil and coolant
3 x chains
6 x guides
3 x tensioners
1 x Gasket kit
1 x labour
3 x sprockets
1 x Genuine Oil Pump
1 x extra labour for sump removal and cleaning
Extra warranty coverage

Added extra's
- Thermostat $35
- Spark plugs $45
- Ignition coils $28 each
- Other servicing, spare parts, diagnostics etc.

Gundolini

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE V6 Commodore
IS this as common a problem with a MY2010 3.0l SIDI engine? as the partners car cut out in traffic & would start again, it turns over but won't fire, after a tow truck ride home I borrowed a scan tool which threw up codes P0016-00, P0017-00 & P0018-00 but nothing else.
EDIT: Just had a mechanic with a lot of VE commodore experience look at the car & found that the crank position sensor has actually failed

Last edited:

Ozmik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SeriesII Calais V6 Wagon
Hi all, Mike here. New to the forum but have read heaps on the dreaded P0008 error.

My ride:
2010 VE S2 V6 Calais Wagon.

1st had this error last year at about 100000kms.

After all the diagnosis I had done and ridiculously high quotes from dealer to fix, I had the chains and gears changed by a mechanic in Cheltenham.

Code reset after this and all was good for about 6 months and now the silly code P0008 is back.

I'm an Electronics Engineer in my day job so this puzzle is annoying me and sounds like an electronic fault. Here's what I'm doing, maybe it makes some sense to someone:

To start with, car drives fine, lots of power, all good.

Without notice, the power dies and it sounds like its being strangled.

If I drive it like this for about a day or 2, then the Engine light comes on and the P0008 code is present (via scanner).

Now, I'm trying this. When the power dies, before the dash engine light comes on, there is a pending code P0008, not a stored code, so I jump on it and reset it and hey presto, the power is back and it drives well again, sometimes for many days.

For this to happen so deliberately seems to me like its a programmed function in the ECU to drop power etc. I write code for micro controllers all the time so I know how easy it would be. Is there a temperature sensor in the mix here too that might explain why it comes on at different times?

I've read about some new parameters for this alarm DTC. Is a dealer the ONLY one who can get these parameters into the ECU or does anyone know of anyone (I'm in Melbourne) who can update these limit parameters? I'm sick of dealers and their inflated quotes.

I thought it might be an intermittent CAM sensor. It might be worth swapping the bank CAM sensors to see if the code swaps to P0009 for the other bank instead? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers.

Ozmik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SeriesII Calais V6 Wagon
Thanks Rob,
Some earlier reading before I had the chains done suggested high oil change frequency. I even had a Dealer say he would reject the engine completely if it had not been serviced regularly. I now change the oil every 5k to 10k so I doubt that is the culprit.

I might tackle the CAM sensor swap and see if the error swaps to P0009. Its cheap to do and will eliminate the sensors in one go. I've never seen the P0009 error so its worth trying.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Anyone know a reasonable mechanic to replace Chains on a VE in the Tweed Heads/Gold Coast or Lismore area........TIA

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
Holden built these motors to a price.
Take a look at the size of the oil filter and ask yourself again if 15000 k between services is a good idea.
Its way to small and holden know it.
They went to 15000k services by increasing the sump size, they should have also increased the filter size.
7500 - 10000 k max between services is more sensible.
5 ks