Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Geeeee the V6 Alloytech are a joke now because there are getting old. I look at 5 second hand VE's from Gumtree that have done 130,000 to 170 K on the clock and most of them had a engine light on and the owner said its nothing!!! but the owner got concerned when I plugged mt Notebook via the OBD2 port in and I found P0008 or 9 and told them you have a timing chain issue and thats expensive to fix.
On all the 5 cars inspected I told the owners not to start the engine as I want it COLD engine to start with and out of 5 two of them when I started the Engine for the first few second I heard a HORRIBLE Sound coming from the engine No Not a Bearing Knock but it was a sound that something was banging against something like a chain hitting the alloy cover or something like this.

15 minutes before I posted this post I saw on Youtube a Video, a guy that put a 20 seconds video how his car sounds like when you start it up and REV it a Little.
Yep it sounded like that. It was nearly as bad as the Video.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Very interesting Video why the Alloytec engines stuff you.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sound like this.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Geeeee the V6 Alloytech are a joke now because there are getting old. I look at 5 second hand VE's from Gumtree that have done 130,000 to 170 K on the clock and most of them had a engine light on and the owner said its nothing!!! but the owner got concerned when I plugged mt Notebook via the OBD2 port in and I found P0008 or 9 and told them you have a timing chain issue and thats expensive to fix.
On all the 5 cars inspected I told the owners not to start the engine as I want it COLD engine to start with and out of 5 two of them when I started the Engine for the first few second I heard a HORRIBLE Sound coming from the engine No Not a Bearing Knock but it was a sound that something was banging against something like a chain hitting the alloy cover or something like this.

15 minutes before I posted this post I saw on Youtube a Video, a guy that put a 20 seconds video how his car sounds like when you start it up and REV it a Little.
Yep it sounded like that. It was nearly as bad as the Video.

It's the sound of the chains minus the full oil pressure of its tensioners, hence why it goes away after a few seconds. Nothing to worry about. OHC Falcon motors make the same noise on cold start. It's also got nothing to do with the chain issues of a batch of early alloytecs. Give me chains driving my camshafts over snappy-snappy rubber belts any day of the week!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Very interesting Video why the Alloytec engines stuff you.

I’ve seen that video a couple of times, it makes sense, love his advice to ‘piss the PCV off and do something else’. And thought, I should do that.
But he does not offer any advice as to what should replace it.

I’m don’t want to be going the ‘catch-can’ route, and I’m not doing it myself, (my days of farnarkling engines is over, like the carburettor days), I want to be able to say to a qualified mech “Clean out my rocker cover, and stick this on it”

Has anyone actually fitted a better breathing PCV, what was it, how was it fitted, and is it successful.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I

Has anyone actually fitted a better breathing PCV, what was it, how was it fitted, and is it successful.
Yes this is interesting to know

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the sound of the chains minus the full oil pressure of its tensioners, hence why it goes away after a few seconds.
So when the car is stopped for while and you start it over night you have the tensioners which are relaxed with no tension on the chain but when you start the car oil pressure drive the tensioners to tighten the chain thus the noise goes. Also I have noticed that if you start the car and let it run for 2 minutes or more and turn it off then re start it again after 5 minutes it as quite as a mouse. Am I correct in the above.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
So when the car is stopped for while and you start it over night you have the tensioners which are relaxed with no tension on the chain but when you start the car oil pressure drive the tensioners to tighten the chain thus the noise goes. Also I have noticed that if you start the car and let it run for 2 minutes or more and turn it off then re start it again after 5 minutes it as quite as a mouse. Am I correct in the above.

That's correct, and the problem is exacerbated with age/wear and in OHC engines due to the length of the chains.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That's correct, and the problem is exacerbated with age/wear and in OHC engines due to the length of the chains.

or a sludged up engine when the oil takes longer to get where it should be ???

sjc073

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series II SV6
I have the dreaded P0008 error on my VE S2 SV6 2010.
I am in Perth, does anyone know of a cheap place to get the timing chains replaced? I am considering moving the cam sensors first to see if there is a faulty one. I am not getting any other DTC codes other than P0008, and no noise, just engine light that comes back a few hours after I turn it off.
Any other advice would be appreciated too.
Simon.