Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ultimate bulb replacement guide

smitchy

Reaction score
Website
www.webchemistry.com.au
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSV Redline VF Series II
Title should be edited to The (almost) ultimate bulb replacement guide.

I have the VFF MY15 SV6 Sedan so this guide has been primarily built around this model.

Im in the process of upgrading my exterior and interior lights to max legal i can go, this means no HID, there is plenty of threads regarding HIDs but i could not find a comprehensive guide for other types of lights. Primarily i will be replacing halogens interior with LED equivalent where possible and exteriors with something like Phillips Crystal Visions 4300k.

This guide is really for reference purpose only for me and of course if you find something of help here you can thank me.

I will be taking photos along the way and giving links to where i purchased my gear.

All globes provided by Bling Auto Works, they are a great bunch to deal with and answer all questions by email promptly.

Updates

24/2/15 - Been speaking to a seller on ebay who was very helpful and has packaged up a kit for the VF for front headlights, side fender blinkers, rear number plate, interior lights for a decent price. Should be coming any day now will follow up with pics and before and after.

22/3/15 - Sorry for the delay, finally managed to get the time finish off this post, enjoy!

OEM PARTS TAKEN OUT

Front lamp assembly

- 1 pair Front turn signal lamp = WY21W bulb (OEM)

IMG_20150321_150644.jpg

- 1 pair Headlamp outboard low beam = H7LL bulb

IMG_20150321_155945.jpg

- 1 pair Headlamp inboard high beam = H9 bulb 60watt

IMG_20150321_152803.jpg

original globe on the right, replacement 4300k on the left

- 1 pair Park lamps = W5W bulb

IMG_20150321_151742.jpg

Side fender lamps / undocumented

- 1 pair T10 amber globes

IMG_20150222_154703.jpg

Tail lamp assembly (sedans)
- Reverse lamp = W16W bulb
- Brake lamp = W5WLL bulb
- Stop tail lamp = P21/5W bulb
- Turn signal lamp = PY21W amber bulb

Number plate lamp

- 1 pair W5W bulb

IMG_20150221_172127.jpg

Interior lamps

- 1 pair Rear dome / reading lamps = W5W bulb

IMG_20150221_132557.jpg

- 1x Glove box lamp = 5W bulb

IMG_20150221_174348.jpg

Sedan Boot Light / Undocumented

- 1x Festoon type bulb 41mm

IMG_20150322_112731.jpg

THE REPLACEMENT PARTS

IMG_20150227_092004.jpg

Front lamp assembly
- 1 pair Front turn signal lamp = Konik chrome halogen indicators
- 1 pair Headlamp outboard low beam = Phillips crystal vision 4300k H7
- 1 pair Headlamp inboard high beam = Phillips blue vision 4000k H9
- 1 pair Park lamps = Konik CANbus T10 led's COB 6000k pure white

Side fender lamps / undocumented

- 1 pair T10 amber globes

Tail lamp assembly (sedans)
Note: I have decided to not go ahead with this mod because i will be direct replacing the tail lamps with hsv replica drlites when they are released which look heaps better

Number plate lamps
- 1 pair of Konik CANbus T10 led's COB 6000k pure white

Interior lamps
- 1 pair Rear dome / front reading lamps = 1 pair of Konik CANbus T10 led's COB 6000k pure white
- 1x Glove box lamp = 1x Konik CANbus T10 led's COB 6000k pure white

Sedan boot lamp / undocumented
- 1 festoon type 41mm Canbus led (not pictured above)

REPLACEMENT PROCEDURES

Front lamp assembly guide

So this was my first attempt at replacing these light globes in any car for that matter, so i was a real noob at it, it took me a while to figure out how to replace the H7's i would say they are the hardest of all in terms of replacement of globes on the holden so far.

High beams - left side / right side guide

STEP 1) Open your bonnet, these are pretty easily accessible they can be replaced from the front of your car when you pop the bonnet, take a look at this pic its from the top of the left side. If you look directly underneath the Yellow cap of the radiator coolant tube you will see the corner of what looks like a round big at least 70-90mm cap. This can be turned and topped off.

IMG_20150321_152259.jpg

Here is another image of a close up with the cap off.

IMG_20150321_152357.jpg

STEP 2) Put your hand in and feel for the globe assembly, Twist them 1/4 way and pull out, it looks like this when its out

IMG_20150321_152444.jpg

You can unplug the globe from the switch, like this

IMG_20150321_152552.jpg

STEP 3) Replace the globe assembly, plug back in and pretty much reverse what you did to get here, do the same for the other side. You are DONE!

Park lamps guide

STEP 1) This one is easy, now that you have replaced the high beams, lets move onto the parkers, here is a pic of where they are located, they are very close to the high beams and can be done with the bonnet open.

IMG_20150321_151736.jpg

STEP 2) Twist out the globe 1/4 way and simply pull the assembly out, looks like this

IMG_20150321_151742.jpg

STEP 3) Replace the wedge type globe with new one, like this

IMG_20150321_151812.jpg

STEP 4) Reverse your steps, to put back together you can do the same steps for the other side, You are DONE!

Front turn signal lamp guide

Now we start to get more complicated, to get to the rest of the front assembly lights, you will need to squeeze your hands through the front wheel arches, i know some have opted to take off the airbox as one way to do it, but i have found an even easier way so read along.

STEP 1) You have to turn your steering wheel either inwards or outwards to make this work, i tried both ways and i actually preferred outwards on the side i was working on. The reason for this i found that i had more room to my hand to move around in, either way will work so you choose what you prefer. As you see pictured here on the driver side i opted to steer inwards. You only need to take off the second and the third screws from the outer lip. You can see i have the first, second and third taken off, but you really dont need to do the first one, this will save you some time. You will need a T10 star screw driver, as you see pictured below.

Torx.jpg

See pictured below the wheel arch with the screws off.

IMG_20150321_150703.jpg

STEP 2) Slowly pull out the wheel arch padding careful not to rip or fray the ends of the padding you only really need to pull out from the second screw hole to about half way up the wheel arch or so (around the top of the tyre. Its flexible stuff so you wont bend and break it, push it down to expose the inner front bar and inner part of the headlight.

STEP 3) There is no way to take a picture of this light so your gonna have to peek your head in and also feel around the outer top most part of the headlight where the screw style globe is. Generally what i liked to do is sit on the ground, put my hand in feel towards the top where i knew the globe would be, turn my head to the front of the headlight and visualise where it would be. Once you found it, you will feel a screw type connection that you simply screw 1/4 way and it pulls out. It will look like this (see picture below i already pulled it out and changed the globe to the chrome finish)

IMG_20150321_150852.jpg

STEP 4) Simply reverse what you did and reconnect again, You are now DONE!

Headlamp low beam guide

This is the hardest lamp to replace, its fiddly and also not much room, i also had a bit of a hard time turning the screw cap to get to the globe (mine was on REAL tight) it took a few goes. There is no way to take a photo of what it looks like inside the assembly as its too far in the guard you will basically have to move your hand in and get a feel of what your dealing with. I found this diagram on the net that will definitely help you in knowing what it actually looks like inside, you will have to visualise this as your prying your hand in this part of the headlight to get the understanding of how it works.

114897d1303196006-headlight-clip-vt-headlight-bulb.jpg

You will notice there is a clip, take note of this because you will have to undo this to take the globe out.

STEP 1) Once you have your hand inside you should be able to get a feel of what the assembly feels like you will notice a clip, this clip need to be pushed inwards and pulled to one side, the globe is pretty much held in the assembly by this clip, once you visualise and know how to take this clip on and off it gets easier. Once the clip is off you will feel the globe come loose, you will also notice that the pins of the globe are facing a certain way, the pins will be vertical, not horizontal, you need to remember this as you will need to put the new globe in this way also. Take the globe out. This is a picture of what it looks like from the guard when the screw cap is off

IMG_20150321_151318.jpg

STEP 2) Get the new replacement globe and pretty much reverse what you just did. You are now DONE!

Side fender globe guide

Time taken: 5 minutes

This is actually a lot easier that it looks but some care should be taken. Here is what it looks like before.

IMG_20150307_112912.jpg

and this is what it looks like after

IMG_20150307_113407.jpg

STEP 1) Get yourself a soft microfiber town, get a credit card and wrap the card like in this picture.

IMG_20150307_113113.jpg

STEP 2) Use the corner of the card and slip it into the top part of the fender assembly like in this picture.

IMG_20150307_113151.jpg

STEP 3) Press down and you should see that it pops the top clip, once this part is out you can pry the rest of it off easily, there are a couple other clips and none of mine snapped, but just be careful and try not to snap them you will probably have to replace them. But like i said i didn't have this issue. Once it is off you simply screw off the small lamp and it will look like this.

IMG_20150307_113225.jpg

STEP 4) Replace the globe wedge style so it ends up looking like this below and then snap back the fender plate easily. You are DONE!

IMG_20150307_113323.jpg

Number plate lamp guide

Time taken: 5 minutes

STEP 1) There are 2 lights to change, both exactly the same procedure. You will need a small flat head screw driver, or a flat small chisel or something small and flat to unclip and pop out the light, you can cover it with the microfiber towel if your paranoid in scratching anything. Use the flat screw driver and from the LEFT SIDE (outer side) slip in the flat part and pop out towards the bottom it should come out easily and look like this.

IMG_20150221_172004.jpg

STEP 2) Unclip easily the assembly from the cable, to look like this

IMG_20150221_172019.jpg

STEP 3) Unscrew the globe assembly and you will be left with this

IMG_20150221_172109.jpg

STEP 4) Take out the globe and replace it with the led and put it all back together, then repeat with the second globe. You are now DONE!

IMG_20150221_172127.jpg

Interior lamps replacement guide

Time taken: 10 minutes

STEP 1) Open the sun glass holder like how you see pictured.

IMG_20150221_132518.jpg

STEP 2) Now put your hand in and with you fingers on the top part of the sunglass holder push foward and backwards and downways, it should pop out with not toooo much force, like this

IMG_20150221_132536.jpg

STEP 3) In the front part the middle hole is a screw type T10 globe twist it and pull it out, it looks like this.

IMG_20150221_132557.jpg

STEP 4) Now replace with the led globe it will look like this.

IMG_20150307_112358.jpg

STEP 5) Reverse what you did to put it all back together. Here is what it looks like now.

IMG_20150307_112506.jpg

STEP 6) Now lets move onto the rear center light, Here is what it looked like before so you can see the difference in color from the front and back

IMG_20150307_112538.jpg

STEP 7) From the inner part push forward (towards the back window) and down and it will pop off like this, then replace the T10 wedge type globe with a led one and reverse what you did put back together. You are now DONE!

IMG_20150221_133004.jpg

Glove box lamp replacement guide

STEP 1) Open the glovebox up and see the lamp assembly on the top part of the glovebox, you will need a flat screwdriver or chisel or anything else to pop out this assembly. You will need to do this from the BACK CORNER part of the assembly, towards the back part of the glovebox not front part. Once out it looks like this

IMG_20150221_140105.jpg

STEP 2) Replace the globe with a T10 led light like as you see pictured here. This globe is in very awkward, it sort of clips in suspended, anyway its not too difficult but a little bit fiddly.

IMG_20150307_115130.jpg

STEP 3) This is what it looks like on as pictured here. Now just reverse what you did and put it back together. You are now DONE!

IMG_20150307_115117.jpg

Boot lamp replacement guide (sedan only)

STEP 1) This is a festoon type lamp, different from all others. It pops out very easily as you see pictured here

IMG_20150322_112556.jpg

STEP 2) Final stage is to replace the boot lamp, not hard at all but i did use a high quality wide spread LED which really lights up the boot. Take out festoon lamp, replace with what you see in pic DONE!

IMG_20150327_183532.jpg

IMG_20150327_183713.jpg

IMG_20150327_183816.jpg

CONCLUSION:

Hope some of your guys like my write up, took a while to do getting parts, takeing pics and finally doing this post. Any questions are welcomed!

Last edited:

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
looking forward to seeing the difference Mitch ;)

smitchy

Reaction score
Website
www.webchemistry.com.au
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSV Redline VF Series II
Bump... post complete... hope some VF owners find this useful :D

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Thanks for the comprehensive report and photos. I must admit I got a bit worried when I first read through the bulb replacement section in my manual, to see "refer to dealer" applying to many bulb locations!

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Awesome work Mitch a huge amount of effort thank you so much

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Here's some useful information in regard to the legal requirements for lights in Australia - in accordance with ADRs (Australian Design Rules) which are the absolute rules on the subject:

Motor vehicles have been required to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR's) for lighting since October 1991. ADR 13 mandates the number and position of lamp assemblies, ADR 46 prescribes the photometric requirements of the lamp itself and ADR 51 is the standard for filament bulbs.

ADR 51 accepts ECE regulation 37 as an alternative standard for filament bulbs and prescribes the dimensional and photometric requirements for filament bulbs (including headlamps). This ensures inter-changeability and correct functioning when installed in a complying lamp unit.

All complying bulbs sold in Australia would be marked with the "E" mark and possibly the words "Suitable for European Use". The packaging may also indicate compliance with ADR 51 or ECE 37.

When a replacement complying bulb of the correct type (for example H4 45/60 Watts) for a complying headlamp is fitted to that assembly, the light emitted will be within the spectral requirements for white light. This will not be in breach of Section 63 to Schedule 1 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management- Vehicle Safety and Standards) Regulation 1999.
Although these lamps are a standard fitment to many newer vehicles, a "blue" complying lamp can be fitted to a lamp assembly on a vehicle that was not originally fitted with these bulbs.

It is important to note that ADR 51 limits the power of various bulb types, and bulbs of a similar style but higher power rating will not comply and should not be used. For example, the common H4 bulb that has a complying rating of 45/60 watts, is available in much higher rating of 45/100 watts. The higher powered bulbs produce more glare and the resulting light pattern would not comply with the ADR.

Although regulations do not require drivers of pre-1991 vehicles to fit complying bulbs, consumers should be careful when fitting non-complying "blue" light bulbs to pre-ADR vehicles, as the resulting light spectrum may fall outside the standard for white light (that is, the blue frequencies may predominate).

If a Licenced Examiner suspects that the light output from a headlight appears blue, the examiner should take appropriate action based on the following summary tables:

For vehicles manufactured on or after 1 October 1991
• Bulb must be marked.
• Bulb must be the correct wattage.

For vehicles manufactured prior to 1 October 1991
• Bulb does not have to be marked.
• Bulb may be alternative higher wattage.
• Bulb must not show obvious blue light (when viewed directly ahead).

Licenced Examiners Action:
If, during the course of an inspection, Licenced Examiners have cause to inspect vehicles modified by changing the original lighting componentry assemblies, they are to ensure that individual vehicles comply with the previously mentioned details. Modifications of this type
which do not comply with the above requirements are to be rejected immediately.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
What are those headlights like brightness wise compared to the factory bulbs mate? Think I had something similar in my VE and wasn't very impressed.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Great write up, well done.
I would also like to know your impression of the replacement headlight globes you used, both low and high beam. Are they worth changing?