Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ultimate bulb replacement guide

We44pn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Anyone had issues with license plate lights flickering? I'll hVe to try the konik ones

smitchy

Reaction score
Website
www.webchemistry.com.au
Members Ride
Holden Commodore SSV Redline VF Series II
What are those headlights like brightness wise compared to the factory bulbs mate? Think I had something similar in my VE and wasn't very impressed.

They are good and i noticed a substantial difference between stock and the upgrade, but they are not HID's so they cannot be compared to them HID's are in the range of 6000k these are max legal at 4300k, the stock ones are around 3000k.

I noticed there less yellow and more white, but they are still a very slight tinge of yellow.

On road appearance is much better.

I really didnt want to mess with HID's but its just another reason to get defected or issues with insurance.

pdbee

Reaction score
Great write up, very concise with great pictures for the layman

I have been through the exact same procedure and I have replaced EVERY bulb with LED SMD's and COB's in my WM Caprice, EXCEPT the interior light bulbs in the rear passenger area beside the ceiling mounted DVD player and the 'make-up' lights in the visors

As shown by you, it is easy to pull down the front lights near the rear vision mirror, by attacking it through the sun glasses door

I can't figure out how to do the rear lights near the DVD and I can't figure out the sub visor lights, I found one method of taking out the lights in the mirrors but I don't want to force anything and bugger the door on the mirror

Has anyone got any advise on the DVD and sun visor lights on a WM please?

smitchy

Reaction score
Website
www.webchemistry.com.au
Members Ride
Anyone had issues with license plate lights flickering? I'll hVe to try the konik ones

Interestingly enough im experiencing something similar. My right side license plate light doesnt work anymore, and the front interior light is flickering. It might just be faulty not sure. So im on the lookout to replacing them. I will try again with the replacement of what i bought before but if it happens again then i will have to try a new brand or something.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A great write up and I’m sure a lot of members appreciate it.

Am I right in thinking you only have a centre bulb to replace in the front interior light and no reading lights either side of it?

I changed the centre blub with a purple LED and I also did the two lights behind the seats in the ‘B’ Pillar of my VF2 Ute with two purple LED’s and they all work perfectly.

When I replaced the blubs in the two reading lights in the sunglasses holder with white LED’s they stay switched on. Pressing the ON/OFF button did nothing.

I twisted them to change the polarity but I got nothing, they wouldn’t switch on at all.

Any thoughts?

Your Front Interior Light

IMG_20150307_112506.jpg

smitchy

Reaction score
Website
www.webchemistry.com.au
Members Ride

Am I right in thinking you only have a centre bulb to replace in the front interior light and no reading lights either side of it?

I changed the centre blub with a purple LED and I also did the two lights behind the seats in the ‘B’ Pillar of my VF2 Ute with two purple LED’s and they all work perfectly.

When I replaced the blubs in the two reading lights in the sunglasses holder with white LED’s they stay switched on. Pressing the ON/OFF button did nothing.

I twisted them to change the polarity but I got nothing, they wouldn’t switch on at all.

Any thoughts?

IMG_20150307_112506.jpg

Correct i only have 1 in the center and thats it. So not sure im gonna be much help here. Sorry man

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Correct i only have 1 in the center and thats it. So not sure im gonna be much help here. Sorry man

Thanks away mate, it's always worth asking and your write up is going to be a great help to other owners as it'll take some of the mystery out of it and shows them some changes are easy done.

pdbee

Reaction score

Any thoughts?

IMG_20150307_112506.jpg

I have ordered a s**t load of T10 bulbs from China over the last few years

I probably have a stock of 60 - 80 various types of T10's, I have found them to be quite fickle as to whether they work or not (MR16 LED downlight bulbs for halogen house lights are worse)

If you put it in and it didn't work

1. Check the wires coming out if the bulb that fold back straight up to see that they don't slip away to the side away from the contacts in the bulb holder

2. Turn the bulb around in the holder to check the polarity of the bulb

3. Try another bulb, 2 or 3 (As I said they are VERY fickle as to if and when they work_

jhon

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs ute
Does anyone have any experience with swapping out the standard single front interior light unit and replacing it with the dual map light version.I would like to do it as it's a hassle being dazzled when my girl wants some light while I'm driving with the single bulb VE unit.

HotVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 3.6L
Hey mate could you tell me if you had any problems with CANBUS errors when fitting these konik branded LEDs?

I tried these ones on ebay which are meant to be error free and I got 8 to try but they all giving me warnings to check my plate bulbs every time I start the car :/