Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third failed water pump WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The Tech I asked when I got the VS told me not to use them can block radiator.
The Tech that would take the car home to fix things I couldn`t do.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
For many years I had been using Tectaloys "V Plus" which was Holden Factory Coolant, but as time moved on I found I could buy exactly the same at half the price through "Motor Traders" which was essentially Coventry's. Those in WA would definitely know who Covs were. For everyone else they were the only independent company that was a Genuine Holden Parts Distributorship outside of the Holden Dealer Network.

I got to know a guy there in the Holden Parts side of the business and he started giving me everything at Dealer pricing.

As this business now no longer exists the chap has now moved to a Holden Dealership and the favour continues.

I buy the AC Delco coolant from him in 5 litre containers and have been using that for well over 15 years now. Have never had any issues whatsoever.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I just read the email I got from the supplier of the Gates pump. Basically I have to spend $20 and freight it back to them, with a copy of the paperwork the garage who fitted needs to fill in, before they will replace a shitty $40 pump. I said to them forget it not worth me fuckin around to only get $20 back by the time I pay for return freight. First eBay seller that I have ever had to spend coin to claim a replacement. Doubt I will deal with Rolan ever again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I
20190801_120705.jpg
Another Co that have sent manufacturing to China. I should have not bothered, Gates are **** too now I suspect.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I wonder who makes the genuine pumps now? The genuine pumps for Alloytecs are made in Canada and last a few hundred thousand ks. I wish I paid the dollars for one instead of the 40 dollar GMB time bomb I put on it

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Sometimes i wonder if batches are graded. Maybe some of the stuff being sold cheap was made on a Friday ....

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
It could be a bad batch of pumps. I'd go maybe the belt is the wrong size, which is putting extra strain on the bearing. Maybe check to see where the tensioner indicator is sitting. It's a long shot but worth checking out. Since you're chopping through pumps I'd guess something else is going on.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Have had good luck with gates and GMB pumps on quite a few engines. Even eBay cheapies have done the job without long term issues. There may be a design flaw with the more recent aftermarket v6 pumps in that case...

I always heard those pallets were for lubrication, not stopping leaks

Is there adequate clearance behind the impeller? Not touching anything? Sometimes the gaskets can be a bit iffy

wildfire40

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS V6 Acclaim Sedan
I have had three failed pumps in 3 years. Anyone know what is going on. Each pump has leaked from the weep hole. I have had two failed brand new GMB's and now a failed Gates. Also the original GMB that was fairly new when I bought the ute, failed within six months of ownership.

To get my Gates replaced under warranty I have to send it to Qld. This will mean three weeks with no replacement pump unless I buy another one. I am actually considering fitting a SH one from the donor because four or more weeks without transport is going to suck. This Sunday will be one week that it has already been off the road. I only found the pump leaking when I removed the rear fan to make working on the engine easier and saw the drip right under the hole running down on to the CAS cover.

The old bus has had the coolant dumped no less than seven times. The coolant is near new and I am now catching and reusing because it's never ending and a waste of 40-50 bucks worth of coolant if I chuck it each time.
HI,
Have had the same issue with my VS. I no longer used the Holden Coolant and every 3 years the water pump began to leak. I keep a log of what I do on the commodore as I have had it from new. The first two original ones lasted twice as long at least. The only difference was I did not add the wax tablets that holden suggested as I changed to a different brand and was told that their coolant was smoother and Holden relied on the wax pellets to accomplish that. I asked at a radiator place and they also said that unless you had the wax pellets they will leak. I replaced mine about a year ago and added the recommended 3 wax pellets. Will see how it goes. All the pumps that leaked in 3 years I never had the wax pellets added to the coolant. I would suggest that you try adding them the next time you replace your coolant. They are not expensive and worth a try. They are still available from Holden where they are even cheaper than on ebay. Hope that helps.Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.