Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third failed water pump WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
And all made in China..................bloody cheap **** made but expensive to buy. What's this world coming to.

No wonder this country is surviving on the dole, while China is flourishing.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I always heard those pallets were for lubrication, not stopping leaks
Yes and no. As I understand it the pellets lubricate the seal which is what prevents it from leaking. If it's not lubricated it wears quicker and allows coolant to leak out the gaps.
I just don't get why the early V6 Commodores are the only car I know that requires these pellets in the cooling system. Are there other cars that use them?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I was under the impression those pellets were a stop leak additive first and foremost. Our L67 is still on it's original waterpump going on 17 years and 238Km and hasn't had the factory recommended coolant in it since I owned it. Our previous VS I replaced the pump and it ran till it was scrapped many years later without issue also without the factory recommended coolant, I even considered pulling the pump off to keep as a spare as it still felt as smooth as butter.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Been playing with a waterpump for my 304 that needs a few mods before fitting so I stripped it down today to see what I'm working with. I pressed all the bits out and found this...
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-26 at 13.32.09.jpeg

You can see how badly the bore has been galled up where the bearing assembly was pressed in, one has to wonder if the assembly was in straight? if not than I can see that leading to seal failure if the shaft isn't running true in the bore/seal assembly. I'm not sure If I'll continue with this pump as I don't want to waste more time and effort on something that may fail quickly. Don't think I can send it back for warranty either....
WhatsApp Image 2020-02-26 at 13.32.41.jpeg

I was under the impression those pellets were a stop leak additive first and foremost. Our L67 is still on it's original waterpump going on 17 years and 238Km and hasn't had the factory recommended coolant in it since I owned it. Our previous VS I replaced the pump and it ran till it was scrapped many years later without issue also without the factory recommended coolant, I even considered pulling the pump off to keep as a spare as it still felt as smooth as butter.

So I recently changed the waterpump on the L67. Done over 243,000km. Pump still feels like new? It is either the original pump or the pump was replaced by a Holden dealership because it's a genuine GM pump and not some after market replacement. It also still had a genuine gasket with rubber inlay etc, no sealant used which suggests original pump to me. Hopefully the new pump lasts just as long.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I reckon if a bearing was available I could rebuild a V6 pump, just press it apart. But not worth it for the cost. I hope I have finally been onto a good one now six months on (I think) and no leaks. I think the real **** ones are on ePrey, even though they are so called Gates and GMB I wonder if there are cheaper versions that end up online for sale. I will never buy a waterpump online ever again.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Be careful you don't Jinx it now ? ;););)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have emailed my supplier with the above pic of the damaged pump bore, have suggested it's forwarded to the manufacturer so hopefully in the future this problem won't effect others.

Why did you change the pump, if still feels like new? Was it leaking?

I was chasing a gremlin and doing a thermostat on the L67 so I did the waterpump at the same time. I was surprised when I got it off how nice it felt.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have emailed my supplier with the above pic of the damaged pump bore, have suggested it's forwarded to the manufacturer so hopefully in the future this problem won't effect others.

I was chasing a gremlin and doing a thermostat on the L67 so I did the waterpump at the same time. I was surprised when I got it off how nice it felt.
What was the gremlin? Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.