Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

THROTTLE BODY Upgrade

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
for an ecotech they r selling TB on ebay.
cheers
AL

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
I've taken my standard VR TB and cleaned up the little ridge in it near the butterfly and polished it all up to mirror finish and portmatched it to the elbow (which has also been polished and portmatched to the manifold) so It wil be interesting to see how it works.

A bit hard to tell though as it's going in with a completely new rebuilt engine with lots of other mods but if someone else has the time and inclination it may be worthwhile giving it a try.

W

WaDeY

TB on my VN

What would be the optimum throttle body i could put on my relatively stock VN executive V6 in terms of performance? Where could I get this and what would be the estimated cost?

Gdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Police pack
Ive recently done this to my vp... piec of piss to do, exactly the same casting.
peformance gains??? I dunno, it felt **** till i set my shift cable right the other day (im lazy, drove it shifting too early for 2 weeks) so, but it seems pretty sweet now, all it does is efectively open more than a stock one with less pedal movement, so tweaking the shift cable slightly here should take advantage of this by running at higher rpm... but thats not real good for it i suppose, either way its gunna want to use more fuel cos you either thrash it, or doesnt work optimally when putting around cos the airvelocity will be less or fluctuate more... seems ive gotta control the throttle a bit more... i dunno... (thats what keeps me up these days :unsure: )
seat of the pants is no true measure, and any difference could be due to cleaning the new one prior to fitting, ive been playing with various old intake configs....definitely no point doin it with standard
Anyone else got anything to say about this "first hand"...
...Im doin this to satisfy the people who always swore "yeah do it, a mate of a mate did it and its fully sick"... :rolleyes:

Bakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII Ute
The throttle bodies out of the 5.0 V8 was (I think) 65mm. The ecotecs were 63mm so upgrading to the v8 item will do little for an ecotec motor )may not be the exact dimensions but there is very little difference btween v8 and ecotec). Waste of money if anythin. The buicks would gain from the larger tb. Just my thoughts.

Header

Reaction score
There's a guy in Newcastle doing 70mm TBs suit VN+. Reckons 50hp bolt on with full exhaust. A heard pricing under $300 mentioned but I will confirm.

T

Tradewind

TBs

I can't see how a larger TB can increase power so long as the manifold pressure/vacuum is zero when engine is at full rpm on a stock setup. If there was a vacuum with engine at full speed only then would the enlarged TB benefit the engine power wise .........

Even then it has to be determined whether is the air filter, ducting, airbox or other which is contributing to the performance loss :D

W

Wonderboy

airstrike is right, a v8 tb wont bolt up to an ecotec as they run a mas sensor instead of a map sensor, so it wont work fellas. i went to holden and they want $205 for a brand new v8 tb, thats dealer price tho 'im special' i might buy one and see how it goes, ill tell you how much list price is.