Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tones VX SS Mod Thread

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Things seemed a whole lot easier 20 years ago...........

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Tones, I'm not sure you're understanding the difference between wheel size and TOTAL ROLLING DIAMETER

eg. For my own car:
Standard Wheel: 205/65R15 = 647.5mm
New rims: 235/35R19 = 647.1mm

Difference of a massive 4 inches rims size, but only -0.4mm difference to total rolling diameter.

All I'm trying to say is chill out with the rim size, you're fine as long as you have 235/40R18.

It mentions nothing about "rolling diameter", only the overall diameter of the largest wheel on the placard. (15mm greater, or 15mm smaller that the smallest tyre size)

So as we all know, fitting larger rims isn't a problem, because we fit a lower profile tyre to match the larger rim.
As long as we don't go more than 15mm larger than the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard and not more than 15 mm less than the smallest tyre size listed on the placard,
we will all have a bloke called Bob that is our Uncle.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It mentions nothing about "rolling diameter", only the overall diameter of the largest wheel on the placard. (15mm greater, or 15mm smaller that the smallest tyre size)

So as we all know, fitting larger rims isn't a problem, because we fit a lower profile tyre to match the larger rim.
As long as we don't go more than 15mm larger than the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard and not more than 15 mm less than the smallest tyre size listed on the placard,
we will all have a bloke called Bob that is our Uncle.

You also must take care to select a tire that has the correct load (or higher) rating for your vehicle

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Thanks Reaper,
can you clear something up for me?
My tyres are load rated to 690kg's at 50 psi(Max). Does that mean the load rating is less if I run lower pressures than the Maximum 50psi?
The placard says "not less than 615kg's)
Feeling confused.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Thanks Reaper,
can you clear something up for me?
My tyres are load rated to 690kg's at 50 psi(Max). Does that mean the load rating is less if I run lower pressures than the Maximum 50psi?
The placard says "not less than 615kg's)
Feeling confused.

Dont worry about the pressures. Its the load index and rating that has to comply. Original tyre placard would and should say for your SS 'not less than 93 load index and rating of 650 kg' As long as your tyres match or better that then you can sleep at night Tones ...lol...
That dodgy placard you bought also had the wrong load index and load rating for your car so another reason not to use it...cheers

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina

The terms, 'rolling diameter' and 'overall diameter' refer to the same thing mate.

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
The terms, 'rolling diameter' and 'overall diameter' refer to the same thing mate.

Ah, OK, Thanks for clearing that up. Same thing different terminology.

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
On the Mend.

Even though I cannot wash my car yet,which is actually stressing me out a little, I have managed to wash my windows.
I was even able to check the oil and coolant.
To most people that would mean nothing, but for me it means I'm actually on the recovery trail.
I would be a little further advanced if I didn't take a tumble last night,
It would seem that a have taken up a new hobby, for about the last 6 months now - Sleep Walking. A little while ago I found my self locked out the front of my house, along with on other occasions waking up in weird places.
Last night's fall well and truly woke me up, and I couldn't move for about 10 mins. Anyone watching would have found it hilarious.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Gees m8.. Id be getting my wife to hide the keys for a while as your urge to use the SS might manifest itself in your sleep walking which you could find yourself in trouble if you managed to get in and drive..Try putting a bell on your bedroom door handle so it will alert you or your mrs. when you get up during the night...Stay safe dude...

Tones

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES2
Cheers Kanga,
I gotta try something, at first it was a little funny, but now it's starting to get dangerous. I might try the bell on the door, or maybe thumb tacks on the floor...........
I reckon it's probably all the drugs they've got me on. Hopefully only another couple of weeks.