Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torana V8 Options

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Just out of curiosity, for a occasional drive (2, maybe 3 days a week) and rare, and I mean rare appearance at the drags, what hp should I aim for?

I was thinking in the vicinity of 600hp, with a good amount of torque. Is this possible?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Personally, I think 500HP is a nice power figure. That sort of power can be had relatively easily from both a Holden V8 with VN heads or a Small Block Chev. IMO, anything above that and it becomes Chev territory. Don't get me wrong, it can be done with a Holden V8, but it is much cheaper & easier with a Chev.

Edit: By the way, i agree with your decision to steer away from an LS engine.

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Well, if the budget permits more hp and torque, I will vouch for that option. I was thinking about working with a 355 to 500hp then a Chev from their on in, like you mentioned.

I was wondering if any members can reccomend a engine builder with some information on their site. Just wanna study before deciding which avenue.

BTW, thank-you for your input

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep over 500 hp is muuuuuch cheaper and easier with a Chev, if your engineer and local state rego is happy for you to have a Chev in it. Then I'm happy for you to go with the Chev option if not go for 500 hp with the Holden. A 383 Chev can go to 600 hp with good heads but that's alot of power, I don't think you will need that much to get scared in a Torana

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well, if the budget permits more hp and torque, I will vouch for that option. I was thinking about working with a 355 to 500hp then a Chev from their on in, like you mentioned.

I was wondering if any members can reccomend a engine builder with some information on their site. Just wanna study before deciding which avenue.

BTW, thank-you for your input

What state are you in?

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Yes, I see what your getting at and that will certainly be food for thought. I was wondering if any could direct me to QLD Government regulations regarding Chev 383 Conversions. Can't seem to find much.

Greenfoam, If it was you and you had this money, would you go Holden Engine or Chev Engine and Carby or EFI and finally what hp and torque would you settle for.

Thanks

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I agree Foamy, 500HP would push a Torana pretty quickly. At the end of the day, it all really depends on how fast you want to go at the drags, because in reality, you won't be able to use 500HP on the street anyway, let alone 600HP.

Edit: I'd aim for 450-500 HP with a VN headed Holden 355 and EFI.

lordaus92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Right, so 500HP sounds great.

But to Go Chev or Holden? Size? Carby or EFI? For QLD REGO

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
What engine should I put in?

308, 304, Chev, LS1? (With this engine in mind, should I go the stroker option, forced induction way or? )

Thankyou for your help!!!

or you could be original and become widely adored and/or brutally hated for making an abomination of all that is good in this world and put a 2jz engine in it lol:rofl2:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yes, I see what your getting at and that will certainly be food for thought. I was wondering if any could direct me to QLD Government regulations regarding Chev 383 Conversions. Can't seem to find much.

Greenfoam, If it was you and you had this money, would you go Holden Engine or Chev Engine and Carby or EFI and finally what hp and torque would you settle for.

Thanks

If I had the money and the Chev was going to be ok (I think it will in Queensland) I would build a somewhat mild Chev 383 with around 500 hp if you are going to drive it on the street more than the track you will never get more than that to stick on the road within the legal speed limit anyway. At those power levels you would still have bulk low end torque and it would be a really good street motor