Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar on Redline wagon - should I go with "Holden Genuine" ?

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
Looking at getting a standard towpack for my redline wagon... Holden are more expensive than others (eg speedy towbars) but I don't want my rear bumper to look **** - like a hole cut with a jigsaw.
Any recommendations for Brisbane? Or is Holden the way to go to keep the looks?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Here in NZ the Holden towbars are actually made by Best Bars, so in Australia who actually makes them? Go and see those blokes and cut out the middle man.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I got factory fitted 1600kg towbar from Holden for $700 for everything. I rather factory/genuine items, but request them to be factory fitted if ordering a car to get the best fit and finish as they have all the proper templates at HEC.

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
I also went the factory option. The RRP price is like $900 but the install is clean and you have no warranty issues if something goes wrong with the towbar itself or the electrics

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
always ask if the towbar can be used and covered under warranty if used with after market accessories , EG weight distribution kits , bike racks , etc etc .

Hayman Reese make the Holden factory bars to their specs and then use the same mountings for the aftermarket bar with a few mods here and there .

always follow the recommend tow ratings and weights as exceeding these could void warranty or worse case see the trailer disconnect from the vehicle with deadly results

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Best to stick with everything genuine for towing. It's not that expensive and I've seen some big $$ items not covered due to mixing and matching. I've seen someone nearly pull the arse out of a Commodore towing right on the weight limit but using a genuine towbar and a non genuine distribution hitch. Not covered thanks to aftermarket components not recommended.

Conversely I know of people dragging over the limit with all correctly matched gear and have no issues.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I have a redline wagon on order too. I have ordered it with the Holden genuine tow package.

I have fitted tow bars myself to an older car and for most part they are easy to fit.

For a new car under warranty I wouldn't risk it by fitting an aftermarket towbar when there is an genuine one available. Also, I reckon that Holden designers will know their cars better than anyone else and would have designed the attachment points to suit both the car and the towbar.

One catch I found with the Holden towbar (on a VX) is that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch in place is offset rather than central (as in the Hayman Reese). Therefore only the Holden hitches can be used and it can't be used with any of the Hayman Reese hitches.

I'm also having a electric brake controller fitted and I've asked the dealer to wire it as part of the sales contract so that if any problems with the wiring develop later, I have evidence that it was fitted by an authorised Holden dealer.

Does anyone know if Holden have an electric brake controller wiring harness for the VF2? I've heard that they had one for the VE but not for the VF.