Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trailer wiring harness (genuine) - plug and play?

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Smitty:2849176 said:
Rang service at my dealer this morning.
They reckon that as far as install goes it will be plug and play. The issue I will encounter is that when reversing, the reverse park assist will beep a continual tone.

strange that... there is a setting on MYLINK on mine to 'tell' the computer there is a towbar attached.

If you have a towbar and don't change the setting, when you reverse the reverse beep will drive you crazy
you make sure it is set correctly

Mylink setting is only for when you attach the towbar tongue. All it does is alters the reverse park sensitivity otherwise it will detect the towbar as an obstacle and beep continually when in reverse. Mylink setting has nothing to do with the issues you create by attaching the Holden harness/trailer module. This can only be fixed by altering the setting in the BCM.
Earlier VFs seem to be OK with no BCM alteration required when the harness is attached. I know of 3 other cars that have had the genuine harness fitted. Two were fine and one had the exact same issue as mine and received the exact same advice/fix from a different dealer to me.

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
Sounds like Holden changed it intentionally to force you to go to them, and hand over another 100 bucks.

I wonder how all the after market towbar suppliers our there are getting around this. Highly doubt they will install their towbar, and drop the car off at holden for you included in the price.

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
Hi, just installed a towbar on my vf. I bought a secondhand one from the wreckers, it had ve written on it but it fit perfectly. As for the module, its plug and play. There is a plug next to the battery just hook it up. Also you can change setting via mylink

What year is your VF ? Can I ask what you paid for your module ?

sersev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais v 6.0
Hi treesnake its a 2014 calais v. I paid 385 for the full heavy duty kit and came with the module

treesnake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 SII Sedan
might be only the series ii that need to go into holden for programming.

Is this the connector attached to the right rea quarter pannel? I couldnt find a connector where the battery sits

garage_vehicle-3586-14746900751_thumb.jpg

sersev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais v 6.0
Thats not the same as mine. Took a photo but cant seem to work out how to upload it on here

Merv Murray

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE 6.0 A6
Hi All, just fitted a towbar from my WM Caprice, to my WN Caprice. Had to get a whole new trailer wiring harness. Easy to install, but had no power, so went to auto electrician, had no luck there, so had to take it to Holden, & yes it had to be programmed to work. All good now

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Yes, it's an old thread.
But I just fitted a brand new genuine towbar and harness to my VF1 SSV Ute.
No power at all.
It seems that I have to get the BCM programmed to make it work.
Stealer wants $150 to do it and can't book it in for 4 weeks! . . . .wtf!
Can I buy a scan tool to do this, does anyone know? It's around the same price.
I know nothing about this TIS2WEB stuff.
Is it possible?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ll be paying over $1000 for an interface device that does that stuff. Most scan tools are like a plastic ring out of a bubble gum machine.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yes, it's an old thread.
But I just fitted a brand new genuine towbar and harness to my VF1 SSV Ute.
No power at all.
It seems that I have to get the BCM programmed to make it work.
Stealer wants $150 to do it and can't book it in for 4 weeks! . . . .wtf!
Can I buy a scan tool to do this, does anyone know? It's around the same price.
I know nothing about this TIS2WEB stuff.
Is it possible?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You can get a vxdiag for about 200 bucks and a 1 vin 2 year sps sub will cost 55 bucks and you will need a laptop/computer to do the programming.

If all you want to do is just enable the trailer and it is 150 bucks then it is probably better to just wait for the dealer or try a different dealer to see if they can get you in quicker.