Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading headunit

Villa_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS 2.0 turbo
Would anyone have an idea if it would be possible to upgrade the headunit in an RS to one out of a Calais.

Thanks

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I imagine no-one has done this yet, hence no replies. Might not be the easiest project since:
- Holden would charge a large amount for a Calais head unit new
- Getting one second hand requires someone to either write off their new Calais, or want to upgrade to an even more expensive unit

Given the stereo on there probably isn't too bad some other options could be:
- Play music from your phone, either by Bluetooth, or just a USB cable to connect phone to car, I do this for Podcasts
- Possibly some better quality speakers if you can be bothered? The digital amplifier (?) and wiring should be capable of playing music OK I think...

Villa_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS 2.0 turbo
I’ve found a wrecked Calais and can get the headunit at a fairly reasonable price.

There are limitations of the RS headunit that really annoy me plus I’d like to have DAB too.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
I’ve found a wrecked Calais and can get the headunit at a fairly reasonable price.

There are limitations of the RS headunit that really annoy me plus I’d like to have DAB too.
DAB's good... :)

The only issue I can think of is that you may not have a GPS module installed, so the Nav won't work...

Villa_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS 2.0 turbo
I don’t use gps so not a big problem. My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are dab, nicer touch screen and with the RS I can’t use any of the controls when I’m on a phone call.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
I don’t use gps so not a big problem. My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are dab, nicer touch screen and with the RS I can’t use any of the controls when I’m on a phone call.
Yeah, no real loss on the Nav if you have CarPlay...

If you do get the head unit out of the Calais, make sure you get the VIN etc. - it may need coding to the new car...

katotia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Anyone have any luck swapping headunits ? Im also interested in putting the ZB Calais/RS-V screen into an RS, can it be done easily. ?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I wonder has anyone considered sourcing an Insignia unit from overseas, might be cheaper.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Anyone have any luck swapping headunits ? Im also interested in putting the ZB Calais/RS-V screen into an RS, can it be done easily. ?

the wiring harness in the rs is different to the rs-v so the headunit and screen will not be plug and play and the head unit will also need your vin programmed into the eeprom.

the steering wheel and stalk controls are different too so the rs wheel controls might not work with the 8inch headunit, they do not work with the 8inch instrument cluster.

LT, RS
holden-commodore-sportwagon-interior.jpg

Calais-V, RS-V, VXR
2018-holden-commodore-rsv-car-review-026.jpg

Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
DAB's good... :)

The only issue I can think of is that you may not have a GPS module installed, so the Nav won't work...

The built in GPS is not particularly accurate, well at least not in NZ. It once gave me a 3 hour ETE for a 60km drive through the country (the actual trip took 55 minutes). The GPS in my phone is far better although you don't get the cues in the HUD.