Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

rodgertoilman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina & Pontiac Fiero
Looks like you know these well, i have a VN manual engine with the flywheel its in a complete going order engine. And i have a VR engine auto with a buggered crank run a rod bearing getting a hiding one long hot day at high speed too long, the rest of this engine was sweet. Question will the VN crank fit in the VR block ?
As my son points out the VR had slight improve in HP due to heads or cam etc I would like to fix the VR motor to go into a Pontiac Fiero as was the VN motor before a crash

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It depends on which VN engine you have the early cranks aren't compatible because they use a different rear seal arrangement.

Casso

FastFogey
Reaction score
Members Ride
VNS2 Auto
Just wondering if I can use ecotec v6 crank in vr series 2? the reason I ask is, that I'm rebuilding series2 vr and it needs a crank regrind, I have a good ecotec crank and this would save me the cost of the regrind, Thanks

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Unfortunately No.

The VR used a Buick based 3.8L, while the VS introduced the GM3800 based Ecotec engine.

Not the same engine.

The Holden VS Commodore was released in 1995 as the mechanical update of the VR model. While the physical exterior changes were minimal from its predecessor, the introduction of the Ecotec V6 engine (Emissions and Consumption Optimisation through Technology) warranted the new model release

CherneVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy ute 3.8
HI GUYS & GIRLS

I've just fitted a new clutch and replaced the rear main seal. When putting my flywheel back on I managed to somehow snap one of my bolts in the crank, instead of getting it removed I thought it would be fine still if I just put the other 7 bolts in thinking that it would still stay pretty balanced.

When getting everything back together I started the car and it had crazy vibrations in between about 1300-2000rpm and continues to vibrate a lot when driving would this be due to that one bolt missing ??

Also changed engine mounts and gearbox mounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Dominic.john

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dominic.john
Hi guy i have a vn s1 stroker crank and wanted to know if it would fit im my vs ute they are both manual

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope, VN s1 is the odd one out unfortunately.

karter13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 1987 commodor executive
V6 vn s1 is there a crankshaft ie forged or stronger than standed

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Possibly something from the US as the VN s1 V6 manual crankshaft is a carry over from an earlier version of the V6 engine.