Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
i know it may sound like im repeating a question but ive read several posts with conflictiing answers. i have a series 1 VN with all manual conversion parts. i have a VR that i want to trans plant it into if i understand correctly, the Vr had the 8 bolt flywheel, therefore will the T5 bolt straigh in? can someone that has done this tell me staright up?

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
i know it may sound like im repeating a question but ive read several posts with conflictiing answers. i have a series 1 VN with all manual conversion parts. i have a VR that i want to trans plant it into if i understand correctly, the Vr had the 8 bolt flywheel, therefore will the T5 bolt straigh in? can someone that has done this tell me staright up?
I could stand to be corrected here but, I believe if the VR doesn't have a Ecotec engine in it (from a transplant or whatever) then it will have the same bolt pattern (6 bolt) on the manual crank as the Series 1 VN V6 manual ?

Anyone confirm if I'm right or wrong ?

Cheers

Deek

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
I could stand to be corrected here but, I believe if the VR doesn't have a Ecotec engine in it (from a transplant or whatever) then it will have the same bolt pattern (6 bolt) on the manual crank as the Series 1 VN V6 manual ?

Anyone confirm if I'm right or wrong ?

Cheers

Deek
Ok I done some more reading a i think the VN / VP T5 had a 6 bolt flywheel & then maybe the VR T5 got changed to a 8 bolt flywheel. Then the VS T5 also got a 8 bolt flywheel but has a different mass balance to the VR Flywheel.

Cheers

Deek

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Deek, if you read the first post it will tell you. VN Series 1 is the only V6 with the 6 bolt pattern (both auto & manual, just different patterns). From VN series 2 onwards all V6's use the same 8 bolt pattern (including Ecotecs).

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deek, if you read the first post it will tell you. VN Series 1 is the only V6 with the 6 bolt pattern (both auto & manual, just different patterns). From VN series 2 onwards all V6's use the same 8 bolt pattern (including Ecotecs).
Thanks Tim,
Yeah sorry for being lazy as I should have gone back to the start for the correct info.

Cheers

Deek

vpcalais6

F#%ING [P] PLATER
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
V6 manual vp Calais
Hey mate because the vp s2 and the ecotec share the same bolt pattern does that mean I can use a ecotec flywheel on my vp s2 for my manual conversion

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate because the vp s2 and the ecotec share the same bolt pattern does that mean I can use a ecotec flywheel on my vp s2 for my manual conversion
Not a 100% on this because they are different engines whether the balance of the flywheels would be different. But for my way of thinking the heavier mass of the later ecotec flywheel maybe of benefit to the VP engines balance.

Cheers

Deek

vpcalais6

F#%ING [P] PLATER
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
V6 manual vp Calais
Would I be able to get it balanced the same as my flex plate and do you have any idea of where I can get one

Thanks