Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Engine will not crank over but will start if I bypass the starter relay.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I ended up catching a bus to/from work for 3 weeks while i scraped the cash together to get it replaced.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
the mechanic researched it and said he can get mine repaired for about 370 if i take out the bcm and some other stuff to rewrite it with

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Must be a second hand unit, the ECU itself was $1100 and then $250-$300 for the reprogramming.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I had my ECM replaced at Holden for $1000 S&F

dazza05071975

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Think link is not working - could you please place the wiring picture direct on to this forum??

OldManOring

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Check the connector on the fuel pump, mine did exactly the same thing, it would crank, sound like it was flooded and stop. It was intermittant at first but got worse, check that the fuel pressure gets to the injector pipe at the back of the motor, ( shraedder valve with cap on it) use a gauge, ie tyre pressure gauge. if theres no pressure when you crank it, its likely the fuel pump, i found the connector on top of the pump had a loose connection which had gotten hot, this melted thru the top of the pump, eventually it opened circuited, how it did not explode i don't know, it was all there, fuel source- tank full of fuel, ignition source, me turning the key over and over in a vain attempt to get it started and with the hole in the top, oxygen. This is a very very deadly design. Seriously these cars can explode with this fault.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
mine came good by itself after about 3 months been good two months now no problems running like a dream

Ryan Glasson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 ve
this works then here is the diagram you need

so depending on which leg of the relay your connecting an earth too....
pin x1_86 is earthed inside the ecm PERMANANTLY so if no other fault i would just earth that wire
if it didnt cause engine light and all worked just earth it

from what youve described to me
x1_87
x1_30
x1_85
is good circuit all except x1_86

so if circuit between x1_86 (pin 86 on relay) and pin x2_35 (on ecu) is not open circuit or high resistance
and its an auto or if manual the clutch switch is operrating correctly (disengages cruise control? or get it checked with scantool)
then the fault is inside the ecm

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ed-picture108389-x1-x2-04vz-ecmconnectors.png

theres the ecm connectors good luck man~!
Hey mate I had same problem with my v6 ve alloytec the windscreen wiper switch was gone and would shut down car but turn it off and start no problem after me trying to power wiper motor my with engine harness unplugged the motor work put back together no cranking but power to dash. And radio then the wiper started bussing when key with on I pulled out check no earth to pin 86 I believe crank relay and wiper share there earth but if I pull out wiper relay and just earth pin 86 key switch work car runs perfect I’ve pinned it out no earth and I’m marine mechanic so I’m unsure if it’s ecu or wiper switch if you could help would be appecatied thanks