Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 statesman VR with error codes 41 & 42 how to fix ??

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Sorry but I meant Ohmeter rather than ammeter - tired brain.

The only requirement for a multimeter is that the DC impedence must be at least 10M Ohms. For the test light, it must not draw more than 300mA.

The problem solving flow chart on the second of the scanned pages should be straightforward. The PCM terminal numbers are cast into the plastic of the terminal wiring connectors if that is an issue.

This is from Dr Bob's site which may also help:

http://www.memcals.com/pdf/VRV8 Wiring Diagram.pdf

From that the white/black wire is the power to the Hall sensor, the light blue/white wire is the earth for the sensor and the grey/red wire is the signal wire.

Not in the flow chart is how to test the sensor. To test the sensor, ignition on, leave the plugs connected but roll back the boot on the 6 pin connector to the ignition module to access the wire terminals. Using dressmaker's pins makes it easier to connect to the terminals but don't let two of teh touch while connected to the terminals.

A voltmeter should read battery voltage (~12V) when connected between w/b terminal at the module and an external earth (a strut tower stud is convenient), and also when earthed through the terminal for the lb/w wire. The voltmeter connected across the signal wire and an external earth should change from ~12V to zero volts as the engine/sensor is rotated. Rotating the engine by hand is better as the update rate of a digital voltmeter makes it harder to see the voltage change if the engine is being cranked on the starter.

I wouldn't pay $500 for a module either, just use used parts and be sure of the diagnosis through systematic testing.

Last edited:

5.0Ltr-StatesMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0
Thank you Cheap6

That wiring diagram from Dr Bob you posted is Fantastic ! :thumbsup:

Thank you very very much for that :) I'd recommend to anyone who has a 5 litre EFI VR to grab yourself a copy. Ive got a mate comming over today or tommorow who's sparky'ish :D Armed with those diagrams and your tips I'm sure youve just saved us a whole day of rooting about !!

Would much prefer to shout you a beer or six , but I cant quite seem to find where to attach them :unsure::hit: LoL
So i just hope a sincere " Thanks Mate " and firm handshake will show my gratitude !!

Regards Clint :bow:

5.0Ltr-StatesMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman 5.0
Sucess !!

Just wanted to let you know My car is fixed !!!:clapping:

HUGE Thanks to everyone who helped !! After replacing the EFI relay & using the original coil , the car had spark once again. Im pretty sure the new Ignition module helped too.I'd try connecting the old one to make sure , but dont want to risk upsetitng anything!!

BTW its probably covered in the tech diagrams & procedures mentioned above,
but I thought i'd make it simpler for those reading this looking for help.

You can test if your Ignition module is working ok by using a test light on a fuel injector wiring plug whilst cranking the engine , test light should flash on & off as you crank. As,from what i believe, EFI is controlled by the Ignition Module .

Probably not a sure fire means of problem diagnosis in every case, but If it helps just one person I'm happy :)