Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb slx v8 conversion

NZR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 Clubsport
Ok so fast forward a month I have been thinking about it a bit decided I like the idea of running a red 308 as it is the period correct motor, did a bit of research and can pick up a cam and head package in nz that will get me 300-320hp with standard stroke, standard carb and manifold for $1600. Picked up an engine basically complete for $450 supposedly from hq Monaro needs rebuilding as used oil so plan was rebuild it to factory and possibly with flat top pistons for a bit of extra compression etc.
Pulled a head off and found it is already 30 thou over and has a few light gouges in bores I can feel with my finger nail.
Now I don’t know what to do with it I guess it may clean up at 40 thou or whether to just go for a later model motor as all the older ones are more then likely bored out already aswell.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Chances of finding a older motor, that hasn't been oversized is fairly difficult....The options you have with the current motor is see what overbore would be needed to remove the gouges, or you could have the engine re-sleeved, so you can decide what bore you actually want.

The newer fuel injected 304's, you can buy a manifold to run a carb, instead of injection.....The down side to this is, it tends to lift the aircleaner and carb above the bonnet line, so a bonnet scoop would be required and associated rules met