Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vb to be vc satin black brock

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
no common sense here, here.....no common sense!

I woudve given up on explanations by now ARI

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I can see the appeal of the idea, a wider front track would improve the handling but trying to fit components not designed for the car isnt the best way to go about it, ive heard of people re-drilling the hole in the K-frame for the lower control arm mount to widen the front track as well.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I have used vr front end so that it cost $40 instead of $300 to upgrade breaks to vt twin piston.
In theory this sounds good but if you want this legal you'll have to get it engineered which is going to cost a lot more than your $260 saving, at thats if you're thinking that it will pass too. You may as well just buy the proper strut tops for the few extra dollars, do it once do it right and it will be cheaper in the long run. You'll already need an engineer to pass the V6 and if he's already snooping around the bay for the engine conversion there's a fair chance he'll notice any other changes and more than likely with the strut tops say to resort back to the OEM ones.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
you reckon just ring holden and theyll fabricate you something? how would that conversation go "yeah hi, ive put some VR struts in my VB and i need you guys to design and fabricate me some strut tops thatll make it work" or are you suggesting that if i get my local sheet metal fabricator to lazer cut some strut tops, that it somehow bypass the need to have it inspected?

mate, youre not understanding the rules. just because its made by holden, doesnt mean its legal to fit. the only way you can avoid an engineer is by sticking to parts that are a factory option for the car. last time i checked, a VR is NOT a VB factory option. otherwise ill just slot a 2001 commodore rear end in my torana. fk it.. its made by holden, seems legit enough.

why stop there? i have a ford mustang hydroboost brake setup on my 66' impala, surely it doesnt need a cert cos' its made by ford, and ford make cars... right?

You can get bearing plates made...I've had some made for a car of mine that you can't buy new ones for

We'll leave it there, as it is plain we have a different interperation of the rules

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
You can get bearing plates made...I've had some made for a car of mine that you can't buy new ones for

We'll leave it there, as it is plain we have a different interperation of the rules

A direct replacement for an OEM part is a bit different, perfectly acceptable otherwise we would all be getting our K-mac or nolathane strut tops engineered. Your plates would have been made as a direct copy of the original unit not an adapter.

Point is, any changes to suspension that can effect its geometry require an engineer cert to be legal. Id dare say the ackerman angles and caster would also be up the s##t with this front end conversion.

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
Relax guy. I have read the rules.

Im in vic
The rules state:
"An engine that is modified for proformance." Dosnt mention has to be in the right car. i know of older things getting around with newer running gear Without hassel. At the end of the day its a stock v6. Nothing special nothing lethal. I can get in just as much trouble in a fuly sik doof doof vn bro! I have invested much in this car, and care about it. Not just $100 commie. As long as the copper isnt a compleat dick. And i am respectful, and wasnt doing anything wrong. Shouldnt have any problems. Well besides a male p plater in an old black commodore with mags and tinted windows.
P plates & probationary prohibited vehicles : VicRoads

Iv spoken with an engnieer, yes he hasnt inspected it yet. But said it shouldnt be a problem. Worse comes to worse i do have vn front end or all the red motor (i would go vn :p ). Im really not to fused when it comes to the legalness of the wole thing. Insurance is going to be the killer! I have done my homework. On my car at least :)

I really would like to know more about the front end on a vp and to what breaks they run?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Im really not to fused when it comes to the legalness of the wole thing. Insurance is going to be the killer! I have done my homework. On my car at least :)

Dude if you hit someone you're fked, you'll be done for an unroadworthy car. Pretty sure insurance is void if its found your car doesnt comply. That means you'll be up for the cost of repairs for the other vehicle or vehicles, not to mention any public liability costs if property is damaged or people are injured.