Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC HDT tribute build

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
I had many cars over the years, you name it , numerous muscle cars,turbo cars, Porsche 928 so many and one thing that I've learned over the years, it's not the big power that matters.It depends on what car can take and how it's delivered that makes the whole package tick.I owned a 1971 Alfa Romeo GT junior 1600 once, 1.6 litre, twin cam with twin Webber's.This was the sweetest car I've driven in my life, balance, power delivery and sound was second to none.Not big power car but I still talk about it today hehe

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
spoke to Clive, he would be the best man for the job but he is flat out.. the earliest would be the end of January.. He told me to go to crows cams in Knoxfield. On their advise they've told me to bring the cam in so they can at least measure it so we know what was in it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Your engine is clapped out 253 on original pistons (a good thing) so surely Crow Cams can advise an appropriate cam and valve gear for your application given the driving manner you want from it? If they can’t, then I’d look elsewhere.

After all who cares what cam was in an old engine that you couldn’t really drive... So I just don’t get why C.C. want to measure up the old cam (unless it’s to try and regrind it to save you a few dollars)... I‘d look elsewhere for advice if C.C. want to make it more complicated than it actually is...

If the original cam is worn, which your engine builder should advise, I’d just buy a new Holden spec‘ed performance cam and keep it as close to Holden standard as possible. That way you retain civilised driving manners and the car will retain more value. In any case, as you said, ultimately it’s not about big power but how it drives :cool:

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
The only reason I would like to take the cam to them is to see if they can advise as what it is and what are specs , they can measure it in their shop.

The cam in the car sound was fantastic and no point dropping 4-5 k on everything unless it sounds like a v8.

I am looking at 350-400 bucks for a new cam.

We'll see what they say soon.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I bought a crow cam for a 6 cyl blue ..It cost me $330.....Ordered Wednesday, turned up Monday....It was a 35 665...Rev range is from 2200 to 5200..

I checked out prices through ebay for the same cam and they wanted $372 ....If I was t get a 35 604 which has the rev range 2500 to 5800, it was going to cost $355, through ebay...Other places I shopped around with wanted $450 + depending on where I rang for the cam I got....So is wise to shop around a bit

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The cam in the car sound was fantastic and no point dropping 4-5 k on everything unless it sounds like a v8.

I don't understand why the sound of a cam is more important than the driveability. A 253 will always sound like a V8, just how much it does depends on the exhaust system. Lumpy, undriveable cams for road cars went out of fashion with the flower children of the 70s.
Back in 1990, I had a 253 rebuilt, and my instructions regarding a cam were 'good torque down low, and fuel economy'. I have no idea what went into it, could have been a standard cam for all I know, but the results were as I wanted.
But in retrospect, what I should have done also was the hardened valve seats for unleaded. Hindsight is excellent.

But, @Gozzal ...... I like what you are doing so far. Your restoration of bits, and your interior look great. End result should be excellent.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
The only reason I would like to take the cam to them is to see if they can advise as what it is and what are specs , they can measure it in their shop.

I am looking at 350-400 bucks for a new cam.

We'll see what they say soon.
The cam is stamped at the end, easy to look up number and get the specs for it yourself through google/catalogues or any of the cam sellers will be able to advise you.

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thank you all for your advice.

I am no expert on Holden's hehe that's why this forum is so great!

Off course that driveability has to be there plus the sound.

I spoke to Crow cams, I was advised the best would be to go with 5761 cam.

Specs

https://www.crowcams.com.au/ShopbyProduct/tabid/92/ProdID/15522/5761__HOLDEN_V8_HYDRAULIC.aspx

This package with other head work might just be what we need.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crow-Ca...m260d3e62ed:g:dOgAAOSw-V1cE2Gm&frcectupt=true

That's a little wild.....2700 starting rev means there is a good chance you'll be pottering around town in 3 rd gear in a 60 zone....Of course a lower diff ratio might help ie around the 3.55, 3.9 or 4.11 to be able to get into 4th around town....Anything taller ie 3.08 or 2.60, you'll be in 3rd gear with that cam.

See how you go anyways...Also do some pricing through parts stores to see if you can get it cheaper.....Saving a dollar here helps with putting that dollar somewhere else :)