Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Alloytec Start Up Noise Woes

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Still maintain it's going to be your timing chains

Over time, the chains stretch - when the vehicle is started, the slack in the chain has to be taken up. Further, the chain tensioners are likely to be worn, contributing to the issue

Had a mate of mine with a vz sv6 (alloytec) - every time it was started, it would exhibit the same sound as what your vehicle does

Was diagnosed as timing chains, but he never bothered to have them replaced - engine ended up nuking itself

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
I've got a similar issue to others reported here but as yet unable to find any solid answers other than one user saying replace oil pump.

My VE makes the same noise as video link and idle drops and comes back a few times within 3-4 seconds all whilst making this sound the whole time (3-4seconds).

Mine has fresh 5W-30 in it which seemed to decrease the amount it happens, now its like a random cold start draw where most of the time it will do it but sometimes magically it wont.

No codes shown
I cant see how checking/cleaning oil pickup will fix as a sludged up or blocked pickup should cause dramas all the time not just start up?
Oil pump would cause it to throw a code for low pressure would it not?
Are chain tensioners hydraulic? Its a long shot but seems as though chains are lose and timing goes out a touch at this point on cold start - hence the idle drop and then its comes good.

Any help would be great as this surely cant be an Alloytec trait we are supposed to live with. I get cringes from people in the carpark when I start up sometimes.

Pete.

Hi Pete, I've got the same problem I believe, everyone told me its the timing chain as my car has done 234,000kms and its now been changed with a genuine one and the noise is still there and it only does it on the first start each day like yours and it does it most days, mine doesn't seem to want to do it in front of the mechanic though..lol I picked my car up on a Friday after the chain had been replaced and on the saturday it made the noise again so I had to wait until monday to speak to the mechanic again, on the monday morning he came to my house to listen and it didn't make the noise then he came on the Tuesday and it was silent again, I then dropped the car off at his workshop so he could hear it on the Wednesday morning when it was cold and it didn't do hit there either, I have been making a video of the first start every day since and it is doing it every day without fail but it never wants to do it in front of him, it is so strange haha. have a look at the video I made

mrstuartinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega Dual Fuel
Still maintain it's going to be your timing chains

Over time, the chains stretch - when the vehicle is started, the slack in the chain has to be taken up. Further, the chain tensioners are likely to be worn, contributing to the issue

Had a mate of mine with a vz sv6 (alloytec) - every time it was started, it would exhibit the same sound as what your vehicle does

Was diagnosed as timing chains, but he never bothered to have them replaced - engine ended up nuking itself

Mine has the same problem everyone was telling me it was the timing chain, well a genuine timing chain kit was put in my car cost me $2000 to have it done and the noise is still there, have a listen to this video. I made [video 2 days after the genuine timing chain kit was put in my car

Shaneeex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 SV6
If this thread is still going, has anyone found an answer?
Can confirm its not timing chains.
I had this noise on my first engine only on startup and only when it was on a incline and sometimes parked flat. The engined ended up having the bottom end gp out.

Now on my 2nd engine i hear the same noise, went to holden about it they say it was the drive tensioner pulley. $400 later, a complete **** around, the noise came back the next day.

Now im leaning towards the o-ring om the oil pickup. Anyone changed theres?, and did it help?

If so any tips into doing so?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Would suggest a starter motor pinion not quite withdrawing as it should and the gears catching on the flywheel briefly.

adamoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve ly7
Mine is making the same noise... turn it off when playing up and turn it back on with no problems....? no codes stored in the computer
Timing chain just done.
i am looking for a part number for the oil pick up o-ring for my 2006 ve ly7 motor, does anyone have a part number please ?

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Hey mate so this issue has been coming up from time to time with a lot of ve's nowadays everyone's changed chains, tensioners,actuators etc. the only thing thats fixed the issue is changing the oil pump. i have got the same issue in my 2012 lfx been driving with it for 20,000kms now. no issues so far. feel free to look at earlier threads about the issue on the forum

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A little necro-threading going on @adamoz but that’s ok :rolleyes:

Well it seems there are some odd starting noise issues with VE’s and VF’s but as yet it hasn’t been fully identified what the root cause is. This thread from @snortings is a long but good read, especially page 8. Also this related thread.

From memory snortings hard start issue was resolved by changing the purge valve AFTER the dealer replaced the timing chains and the oil pump, all at no cost to snortings via under goodwill (statutory warranty rights as I like to call it). The interesting bit was there was some undefined condition (that Holden engineers seem to be aware of) that relates to these sort of odd clunking noises caused that seem to be caused by the generator (alternator). Sadly replacing the generator doesn’t resolve them.

So I’d grab some garden hose and use it as a stethoscope (One end to your ear the other moved around the various components) to localise where the sound is coming from... Check around the starter and generator and front of engine, all the while keeping in mind that such issues seem to have the dealer mechanics stumped o_O

Could still be chains or oil pump but that’s expensive and wouldn’t be my first go to part “swap lottery” that dealers love doing so much :p

Good luck :cool:

Last edited:

adamoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve ly7
thanks for the reply guys appreciate it i am going to change the oil pickup o-ring tomorrow.
and i have a feeling that it's the problem will keep you posted.
If it is not that i have a feeling that it may be the oil pump.
(just bought the car) now old mate that i bought it off is not returning calls... wife loves the car im on the fence . seems like its going to be a money pit chains were just done as i have the recipts as well as a rebuild of the gear box. thanks again sorry for digging up an old thread.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
thanks again sorry for digging up an old thread.

No need to apologise. That is what the 'search' function is for. A bit of investigating first up, then add questions and comments expands the general knowledge of the subject.

Entirely different situation to members who ask if the for sale widget that they want, is an advert from 10 years ago.