Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve Commodore 3.0l SIDI blowing smoke out of the dipstick tube

JustinK971

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Commodore International
Hey guys I was just having a look at my 2009 3.0l Ve commodore it has full service history and I just ran the car and checked the engine oil level and as I took the dipstick out smoke was coming from the dipstick tube and as far I’m aware that’s not normal correct me if I’m wrong but I’m wondering what could be the cause I want to get it fixed asap bc I don’t want to kill my engine any help is appreciated check the attached video to see the smoke

JustinK971

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys I was just having a look at my 2009 3.0l Ve commodore it has full service history and I just ran the car and checked the engine oil level and as I took the dipstick out smoke was coming from the dipstick tube and as far I’m aware that’s not normal correct me if I’m wrong but I’m wondering what could be the cause I want to get it fixed asap bc I don’t want to kill my engine any help is appreciated check the attached video to see the smoke

Also should mention it’s got a full service history

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Blocked PCV valve as said above, it was a common fault with these engines.

You should drill a larger hole in it to not only fix the blockage but also stop the engine from sludging up, that was one of the main causes for chain stretch was the PCV valve not venting enough and allowing the oil to sludge up quicker.

if you do some searches on this forum theres some guides on doing it, only takes about 10 mins.

JustinK971

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blocked PCV valve as said above, it was a common fault with these engines.

You should drill a larger hole in it to not only fix the blockage but also stop the engine from sludging up, that was one of the main causes for chain stretch was the PCV valve not venting enough and allowing the oil to sludge up quicker.

if you do some searches on this forum theres some guides on doing it, only takes about 10 mins.
Yea easy thanks for the help guys one last question where abouts can I buy a new replacement

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Looks to be the same type of valve as the 3.6
20220911_175736.jpg

Reactions: Lex