Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore speedo not working

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hey mate digging up an old thread, howd you go with this? Any success? I'm in the same boat

Get it scanned, and take it for a drive and check the live data, to make sure the speed sensor is actually working.

Jeremy Williams

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MANUAL S1
Get it scanned, and take it for a drive and check the live data, to make sure the speed sensor is actually working.

All that will come up in scan is losy connection to EBCM and the codes nor speed can be read, unfortunately, I've done rear harness, battery, checked fuses, ABS module has power there,

Only other thing is I can't see a main earth on the block itself, only a chassis to head

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think there is a Earth terminal around the Alternator somewhere,
As they were placing them as close as practical to the Alternator, in the event the engine was resistive.

The Best thing is with live Data, is you can check the operation and compare reading on the dash,
That can then give you a starting point of where to start looking,
A lose BMC plug will cause all sorts of false readings and errors, and could be completely off track,
But it then becomes a process of elimination, and probably very time consuming, but have to start somewhere.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I like how no one picked up on OP's name.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Former editor of Street Commodores. Now full time Photographer.

VESSblack

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Commodore
Has anyone had this happen lately ? I have just had this happen today. Airbag, ABS light, Stability control off, contact dealer and no speedo. I have a 2011 VE SS with only 85k on the clock. Any new info?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get the battery checked. Take it into battery world. They’ll test it. It needs to be load tested.
It’s entirely possible that if available voltage is significantly low the ECM will begin shutting down various modules and circuits to ration the available voltage to higher priority systems to keep the motor running. This then sets fault codes associated with those system shut downs. Most modern cars do this.

The charge circuit also needs checking

Stability control is always first to be shut down. Then on from there.

VESSblack

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Commodore
Get the battery checked. Take it into battery world. They’ll test it. It needs to be load tested.
It’s entirely possible that if available voltage is significantly low the ECM will begin shutting down various modules and circuits to ration the available voltage to higher priority systems to keep the motor running. This then sets fault codes associated with those system shut downs. Most modern cars do this.

The charge circuit also needs checking

Stability control is always first to be shut down. Then on from there.
Thanks I will

gaz77

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V L98
G'day all,

Has anyone got a solution to this issue ? I have had the same problems as above for 6 months. I have changed rear harness, speed sensors, battery. I have also had two sparkies go over it and could not find the issue either. I am nearly ready to give up on this.