Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Wrong thread.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If it needs doing get it done! Best thing to do is ring around a few reputable mechanics and get quotes first. Try to find a shop that has done a few before. The only hassle would then be if they try to vary the quote when its time to pay due to 'extras'

johnowenmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE S2 Calais V Redline Sportwagon
Hey guys just had the P0008 error put up my my 2009 my9.5 sv6. The cars got 120000 on the clock and has always been regularly serviced and full log book history. Car is still running smooth and I have noticed a little loss in power. Did anyone have luck with this "software" upgrade. I'm reading its common on the earlier model ve but the chains change in the 2008+ models so is this unusual for this to happen to a latter model???

Brisbane_VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for the info guys... Appreciate it.

I own a 2006 SV6 in Brisbane which has done 155,000kms & the engine light came on (Code p0008)

My local mechanic cleared the code but it are back on, they have quoted me around 2.5-3k which seems about the going rate, I'm definitely going to try the software upgrade first and hopefully that solves the issue.

Anyone recommend a mechanics in the Brisbane area?

Ok update...

I had the software update at Holden just after this post (Only cost $260.00) and the problem was fixed - As others mentioned its only a temporary fix, increases the parameters for the sensor slightly.

My engine light has now come back on, can anyone recommend a mechanic/someone in Sydney who can replace all of the chains for a good price instead of Holden's 2.5-3k?

Thanks in advance :)

floyed007

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 ve berlina
Where close to Frankston?

Have done heaps of these things, they aren't a hard job. Just a very fiddly one and very time consuming.

I wouldn't want someone that hasn't done it before touching it either.

If you're in VIC I know a good place to get it done.
Hi im close to frankston, can you help with a good place to get timing chain fixed.
Thanks.

Aaron.coffey1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 MY10
Got mine done for $1600 here in melbourne. and they also gave me a loan car to use while mine was in there. one thing i noticed on mine was loss of power. no noise from engline ran very smooth just loss of power. did u get the chance to see the code on there Tech 2. to make sure that is the code and there not just telling u this. i was next to my car when my mech hooked up his computer and saw my codes. i went to one mech and he told me... mate u need a whole new engine... urs cant be fiixed. i knew that was crap he was just trying to get money from me. i would never go to a dealer.. would cost u heaps.

Hey mate what was the name of the mechanics that you got this done at?

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i got mine done at peerless auto in lynbrook.

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
My 2010 SIDI is going in for a check up next week. Have been getting engine light, P0008 and keeps coming back after I clear the code. Its starting to rattle a little bit also. Looks like Holdens revised chains didn't do the trick as mine is an MY.10 sidi sv6