Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve series 2 iq problems (aftermarket sub installed)

Jake ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve omega series 2
Hi everyone this is my first post I just bought an august built 2012 omega and thought it would be a good idea to get a sub put in. I went to an auto technician who wired the fusion inbuilt amp and sub and put it in (this was in his garage by the way), tried to turn it on, and the touch screen turned off about a second later. He checked all the fuses and none of them were blown (in the passenger side,under the bonnet, and next to the battery), and the air conditioner is stuck on full speed cold air. Nothing in the centre works, the screen, the hazard lights, or the air conditioner and it doesn't light up either.

He sent me to his other auto tech friend who attached a car computer to check the system, no faults came up on the computer so he's told me to head to holden. I would love if anyone has some ideas to fix this, I picked up the car pretty cheap because it was an ex government car, so it has crazy wiring throughout the car. This wouldn't be under new car warranty anymore would it? The aftermarket wiring would void this? I just hope this won't be an expensive fix. Thanks for reading, and hopefully you all get aftermarket things wired by a professional and not a backyard job!

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
He should pay for any damage done, nothing wrong with a backyard jobbie:) just do it your self and triple damn check what wire you cut, destroy, join...

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
It sounds like the guy has cut the SW Can Wire going to the headunit.
Hence the headunit not powering up, as it is not getting any data from the CAN bus to tell it that the key is in the ignition and switched on.
Likewise, the HVAC system will not be getting any data from the IQ unit.

The best possible solution to this problem is to get the guy to undo EVERYTHING that he has done.
(He has probably starting cutting and splicing in to wiring either thinking that these headunits are just like any other aftermarket headunit, and have seperate power and ignition feeds, as well as amp outputs,
or he has used the wiring information from a Series I radio. (And completely goofed the wiring in the process).

I am not too sure how much help Holden will be in this situation, as they typically will replace completely looms if anything is butchered beyond their (Holden) specs.
So exepct a repair such as this one to be quite expensive if going to Holden.

MjrPayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega 2006
zerone has it

I just upgraded from series 1 head unit to iq and there is a pretty significant wiring difference so if he can undo every thing and then find a wiring diagram of what meant to be there.

Jake ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve omega series 2
Thanks everyone for the replies, Hi Zerone thanks I'm not too tech savvy so I'll try to keep up. The guy took out the wires that he connected under the dashboard he had them connected to the high input on the subwoofer it has a built in amplifier, I took some photo's to show you. He also connected an 'acc' wire to one leading up to the centre console a brown/yellow striped wire. I saved 5 photo's onto photobucket and copied the URL so hopefully the images work. If I can't fix it and have to take it to holden, would it be over $1000 to fix it? I'm a bit nervous thinking how expensive its going to be. Thanks for your help

Jake ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve omega series 2
Thanks for your reply, the auto tech had this wiring loom that he copied when connecting those wires under the steering wheel, it looked similar to the one in my car, do you think theres a chance wiring up wrong could of blown the iq system?

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
Where are you located ?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Not sure why he grabbed acc from where he did, considering you can get it directly under the headunit... pretty common knowledge.

Autoelec using blue elec tape? Thats new.

Could you try and get a better quality photo of the main plug, with each individual wire he has tapped into?

Jake ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve omega series 2
Hi doubledip I'm just down in south eastern suburbs of melbourne in lysterfield. I went to caulfield north for the install which was at his house, but when the screen went, he rang up one of his friends who was on hawthorn road this 'hawthorn road automotive car service', who actually had a garage. I couldn't understand what they were saying on the phone in another language, but he basically said to me that he knows a friend who has a computer, to plug into the holden and check for any faults but it will cost $50, I thought ok lets try that hopefully he can find a broken fuse or something. I got there, he hooked the computer into the dashboard and reset the computer, the cold air started blowing hot air which was weird. He then took off the parts that the 'auto elec' put in and wrapped it up, and said it will cost too much if i got him to do it, but drive home and unplug the battery for half an hour, then get a screwdriver, take the negative clip off the battery and connect it in contact with the positive terminal for 30 seconds and it will reset the computer? so knowing gullible me, i tried it but nothing worked except it went back to blowing cold air like before. The last thing he said was if it didn't work, to take everything out when i get home, take it down to holden and explain that the car came like this and that I didn't touch any of the electric's. The guys down at holden aren't stupid, they will obviously know whats up because thats their job. But beside from that, I thought I might come here for some help first which is turning out to be great you guys definately know alot about the commodores. i'm thinking i will have a go at anything you guys can suggest, but if i can't get it to work, just head down to holden next payday and tell them exactly what happened, see if the auto elec will chuck in some to fix it.

I just took some more photo's i took out the wiring clip, it seems the top dark blue and light blue wires, and the bottom brown and yellow/red wires on the left side were used for the high outport wires