Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 LOC AND SUB INFO

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII

Hi all, . . i know its been covered a lot with ve series 1 LOC installs on this forum and others ive read many many

Im hoping a few of you guys have started playing with the holden iq radios allready, if not i will post and post pics of anything i can to help the next guy.....

i would just like to know what to expect with my recently aquired series 2 SS, i do not have the parcel shelf speakers, just four doors and the silly dash centre (walky talky type) speaker. So if anyone knows, . . .

1: My radio (IQ) is mounted much higher in the dash, will i still be able to access wires through the side panel like the series 1??

2: Anyone know if there is wires intedned for the parcel shelf speakers in the 9 speaker cars are in the base models like mine?, (if they were it would be much easier to access chennel wires for the loc here and save running an RCA down whole length of the car).???

NOTE: i only intend on adding an Amp (mono or bridged 2ch) and single sub, happy to leave the stock speakers powered by head unit. I aint that fussy.....

3: Does anybody know a correct way to x over the door speakers just to remove the really low freequency?, ie: what cap or coil to use??? so they can be cranked without distortion? im a bit of a noob so is this angle just barking up the wrong tree completely?

4: Is it just easier to tap into rear speakers at both of the B pillars before they go to doors and then locate the LOC in the boot or under parcel shelf?

Any help or advise would be greatly apprecieated, if not i will take some pics on my phone of what i do and hopefully be able to help someone else out...

thanks to all who read / reply..

:surprise:

dylan13n

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII
Just a follow up, i became inpatiant, and installed everyhting as planned, so if anyone needs to know

1 : yes, same same, even colour of wires same..

2: yes there all there, but i didnt use them.. i put loc nearer radio as thought would b better

3: no need to, turned bass down on HU to door speakers, turn LPF and bass gain up on amp, all goes well together

4: i located loc near the HU, was easy azz..

not really required to post pics as its all same as series one and heaps of pics on forum allready.....

P.S. Holden IQ multimedia thing is awesome!!

breno85

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Redline Ute
Hi, I'm abit of a newby at this forum stuff, I have a VE2 Redline Ute, I find the stereo to be pretty good, I run blue tooth most of the time, but when i connect my iphone via cable the sond gets even better.
The ute has 2 small subs at the bottom of the B pillars which go quite well but i was thinking of a 10 of 12 under one of the seats and replacing the speakers and small subs with some good ones, Not sure if i should amp all the speakers and small subs as yet.
Can anyone tell me if there is another amp for these small subs and if so does it have line level inputs or high level inputs like what would be used for a LOC, I was going to try to avoid an LOC if possible.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
This thread is an interesting read (even though I dont have a series 2 I'm still curious), but you'll find that most people wont be able to help you guys out much as not many of us own the series 2. Obviously there isnt a better website to ask for holden info, but it may take some time for people to start ripping apart their brand new cars to get this sort of info. Well done to OP for posting the information gathered thus far.... I'm sure someone in the future will appreciate it!:spot on:

Breno, you'll find it very hard to get a 10 or 12 inch sub under the seats. I've looked at doing something like that in the wagon (because I dont want sub enclosures in the rear), but there just isnt enough room. There is a product from Fusion which is a 'slimline sub' that has a similar profile to an amp, but obviously it's specs arent as good as a traditional sub. If you want deep and hard this isnt the product for you, but it's gotta be better than the stock ones surely?

breno85

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was suprised when cranked mine up, actually did quite well especially when the iphone is plugged in. Such a small space i guess.
I think all round the stereo needs abit more up high and some more grunt down low.
Yeah I do see what your saying about the room under the seat, I was thikning more of a long flat custom box (all the way back to my spare wheel/compressor with can of goo) with a slim downward firing sub, So I could still throw stuff behind the seat and not worry about hitting anything important, I was thinking maybe the Rockford P3 or Pioneer TS slim subs, heard them both and was pretty impressed.
Still the bigger question for me is to see if I can install an amp without using an LOC, Not that i've heard a system with an LOC off a factory HU but I'm still abit skeptical on losing quality because of the signal passing through the HU internal amp, Maybe it's not as bigger isue as I think it is?

breno85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah your right about the room under the seat, I was thinking a longer flat custom box with a downward firing slim sub, (maybe, Pioneer TS for Rockford P3 heard both and was quite happy with them), I don't have to worry about peoples feet behind my seats so I can use abit more of the floor room, if anyone has seen a Custom box similar to what I speak of please let me know. I want downard firing so I can still put stuff behind my seat on top of the box.

Dylan, Which LOC did you use? and how happy with it are you?

I would prefer not to use an LOC, Does any know if the series 2 have pre outs or anything of that nature? I suppose that my big question,
As far as i'm aware the sedan with premium sound have a small amp in the boot, where do they get their input signal from? Is it an LOC/amp itself?

Yeah UFO, I know i'm hesitant on ripping apart my new ute, clips always bloody break when I play with interiors.