Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II - Holden IQ - Audio upgrade help

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
using a LOC (line out converter) will give you a very similar if not the same result as modding your IQ for a cheaper price i had a LOC in my car before i changed everything and it did the job

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
^^ what numeric said!

get a LOC, HEAPS of different brands out there, from cheap ebay chinese to expensive brand names ones (Rockford, Alpine, Stinger, and the Soundstream you mentioned)
then there's signal processors...once again, all the big names seem to have one. (I have no experience in these, just what I've read on them)

If you search the audio section (and may be VE section) for LOC or signal processors, you should find enough responses to people who them, the brands they've bought, or have just gone with a simple LOC.

I put an Aerpro AP-304 in the other day, mainly because it was a good enough brand not to be crap and it's priced really well: AP304 Audio level converter | Aerpro Vehicle Specific
I've read others getting the Jaycar LOC or even ebay LOC's and having no issues at all.

The other idea would be to get an amp with high level / speaker inputs, and running the speaker outputs from the back of your HU to your amp (nowhere near ANY power source, otherwise you'll get an alternator whine through the speakers). Details on which wires: https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-unit-wiring-digrame-ve-sv6-2008-model.184803

Sorry I'm not able to comment specifically on IQ system, as I don't have one but from all I've read on JC members putting amps in their VE's (IQ or not), either high level input into amp, LOC or signal processor are you options with a stock HU.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
Thanks for the info. I thick Ill got the LOC method. Where is the best place to install/intercept the factory speaker wires. Dont want to have to run wires from the HU to the book then back to the speakers again.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
Thanks for the info. I thick Ill got the LOC method. Where is the best place to install/intercept the factory speaker wires. Dont want to have to run wires from the HU to the book then back to the speakers again.

you will probably find most people will say behind the HU and run RCA to amp, less chance of power getting into RCA's and getting alternator whine.

even if you only want to run sub in boot and not the 4 door speakers, behind HU is probably easiest.

besides this forum, there's stacks of info out there, youtube being helpful ie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAFJYFPIf8E
Ve Commodore Line Output Conveter (LOC) install - YouTube

what are you going to be running?
- all 4 door speakers? I'd put the amp under the front seat, less speaker cables to run and the RCA from HU to amp is about 1m
- a sub in the boot? amp will be in boot? I still reckon easier to tap into speakers behind HU then pull off trim at base of B pillar to locate wires going to rear door speakers.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
amping 4 door speakers, with thinking 5 channel and maybe down the track add a sub. But for now amp the door speakers (change them obviously)

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
If you're only 'maybe down the track add a sub', I'd put it under the front passenger seat.
I'm not sure if you're is a sedan or wagon but others have suggested under the passenger seat: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/best-place-amp-ve-wagon.233140
(nb: disconnection battery for a while before removing seat and disconnecting airbag wires - for me, 'a while' was an hour as I got distracted doing something else and had no issues when reinstalling seat, airbag warning lights on dash etc)