Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS sedan or utility, you vote

what do you like more VE SS sedan or ute

• Sedan

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Ute

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
since when is the Ute heavier then the Sedan???

since the thick metal in the bottom of the tray to stop things getting bent out of shape ;).

SS auto ute = 1790kg
SS auto sedan = 1772kg

(holden website figures)

You'd think with less windows and less 'body' it would be lighter, but because the inside tray (walls and floor) have to be durable, they make the back section out of thicker steel.

Both are still lighter than the Sportwagon auto SS though (1858kg), but then with perfection there has to be some allowances made:rofl2:.

TinSnips, the ute may have a lower center of gravity... but damn are they tail happy in the wet!! Plus, without a hardtop they are very bad aerodynamic wise... like driving with a sail on!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just for those that are curious, the official figures for fuel consumption on the SS range are:

12.3L/100km Sedan
12.3L/100km Wagon
12.4L/100km Ute

After my last post I wanted to see just how much fuel efficiency is lost on the ute design.

So even though it's lighter than the wagon, it uses more juice.
Still nice looking though!
(but wagon is sexy fo sho!)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, but those figures are combined from holden.... so your country figures dont take into consideration stop start city driving :).

is that afm auto or manual btw? (curious)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Haha.. Yeah it can get interesting in the wet but esp keeps everything in check very well, so leave that on for wet driving... At least while you're getting used to it.

The sail analogy is a touch excessive but I know what you mean. What it lacks in straight line aerodynamics, it makes up for in stability through corners.

But in the end, the differences are so slight, the arguments don't really come into play

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
Ute is around 100kg lighter, or thereabouts from memory. Sedans and utes have slightly lower centre of gravity which, combined with less weight means they're a bit more nimble. You wouldn't really notice it with day to day driving but does make a bit of a difference when you push it. The utes are slightly noisier in cabin, mechanically, as they don't have the same sound-proofing but I don't find it an issue.

from some of the reviews ive read and from what a mate who works at lang lang said the wagons are actually the best handling due to the fact that the body has 8 main structural points to the chassis, the sedan really only has 6 and the ute only has 4. the wagon will actually respond quicker in the corners because the chassis is much tighter.

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Hi VESSCHICK, Just like many have said above the fuel usage and weight arnt that different in the long run and handling also, the difference is minimal under your normal driving on a day to day basis so you wont really lose out much either way, so it sounds basically left to the looks dept. I say a get the ute:) put a nice hardtop on the back, a good set of wheels and exhaust with the money saved from the sedan/wagon and you will have something envious of many people and awesome to drive.

Good luck

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
since the thick metal in the bottom of the tray to stop things getting bent out of shape ;).

SS auto ute = 1790kg
SS auto sedan = 1772kg

ah right, I was thinking of the sv6 ute (my car wieghs 1690kg) the sedan wieghs like 1720 or something

but yeah anyway, the utes are usually cheaper anyway. Get a ute :p

Chilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commy
Aesthetically the ute; however you have to take into consideration the practicality of it, e.g having a ute would be a stupid move if you have a family :p In the end it's your car so it's your call.