Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss weird engine noise

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Lol. My first argument on JC, you sir have made my day. For the record I am currently a maintenance fitter and will soon be dual trade, have plenty of tickets and high risk licences too. Don't think ill have too much trouble finding another job thanx. But if I do lose it ill be sure to come cry on your shoulder.

And just a tip about your job if you deal with customers. Doesn't matter how good you (think you) may be you need to be polite and give them good advice if you want to retain their custom, not tell them how stupid they are. So please, since you are a mechanic just share your knowledge and help if you can. Im sure you would appreciate the same.

Reidstah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
when they should just go to the mechanic the second time.

So now you're ok with people servicing their own cars the first time?

by the way, you sound like the kind of mechanic that EVERYONE tries to avoid! good luck, you'll need it.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Well he would hate me. When I was 18, I decided to change the oil in the mrs Rav 4, it made a funny noise, so I put another bottle in, then the engine started to smoke and went bang when driving. I had put a total of 10L of oil into a car that holds about 4 from memory. That was pretty funny at the time, until the car had to go to the wreckers lol. I then learned to read up prior to attempting anything without any knowledge.

Any who, if I were OP - I'd probably take it to a mechanic, but that's just my opinion.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I think the key to DIY servicing is arm yourself with the right information and difficulties in doing the job and weigh up whether its something you could comfortably do at home. I have an example why i choose to do as much as i can at home. my VE SS had an issue where the heater didnt work. i told holden about it and they quoted me $400 dollars or so to fix it. I looked into whats involved on this site and found out it was an easy job and cost a total of $29 and took half an hour! Its situations like this that make you question the integrity of mechanics and whether they will just rip you off if given a chance.
To OP I think its belt squeal (but i would also check you have added the right amount of oil and that you have done everything correctly).

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Holden dealerships will rip you off no matter what.
I had mine serviced for its last time by them and they noted I had replaced the rear Bridgies with Falkens and that they could replace the worn fronts with Falkens for $930.
I told them the back pair cost me $520 from the Tyrepower literally down the road and asked them what they could do to match.
With a straight face he repeated $930. Sad thing is they woyld probably order it from that Tyrepower.

Myvess2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss
Found out the problem abit of the radiator( were top hose connects to radiator) broke and the piece is in the water pump,f##king mechanic wated to charge me $80 to look at it took him 2min to pin point the noise,I replaced the pump and it's good as new...
Thanks

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Found out the problem abit of the radiator( were top hose connects to radiator) broke and the piece is in the water pump,f##king mechanic wated to charge me $80 to look at it took him 2min to pin point the noise,I replaced the pump and it's good as new...
Thanks

Well done. Thanks for posting the update. It was obviously on its way out and completely unrelated to doing a "simple" oil and filter change.