Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Redline - Cold Start Issues

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Caltex 98 has seen the car start considerably better over the last two days, but it's still not back to it's old self.

95 next on the list......

Lyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF Storm
I've been running Caltex 98 only for the past few years. I've found its the best.

I found Shell was the worst, followed by BP.

Never have start up issues and fuel economy is absolutely fantastic.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Would anyone be able to assist me with my start up problem I mentioned a few posts above ?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Car was started this morning with predominantly Caltex 95 in the tank (there is still probably 20% Caltex 98 in there)
Well I'll be f#*#ed, started first go as normal.
I wont jump to conclusions until it starts for me the same over the next couple of mornings. I'll give another update then....

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I'm telling ya it's these new additives added to 98 RON that are screwing up cold starts. The Ford Forum members are finding the same thing.
I doubt the 50000 hours of testing done by BP was enough to capture this issue.
Car was started this morning with predominantly Caltex 95 in the tank (there is still probably 20% Caltex 98 in there)
Well I'll be f#*#ed, started first go as normal.
I wont jump to conclusions until it starts for me the same over the next couple of mornings. I'll give another update then....

Tjss01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss commodore
I am on my second tank of caltex 95....it has started perfect every morning since early March ...no more 98 of any brand going in my car.....I have improved performance ....happy as pig in poo

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I am on my second tank of caltex 95....it has started perfect every morning since early March ...no more 98 of any brand going in my car.....I have improved performance ....happy as pig in poo

Have you tried BP 95 yet mate ? Is there a reason why you only use caltex 95 or is shell 95 the same ?

Tjss01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss commodore
Gut feel all 95 would be ok...gut feel all 98 might have ethanol or additives...I decided to use exclusively one brand after having same problem with ve2..my VF appeared to be fine on caltex98..after one tank of BP98 I had same problem...I took to Holden and they said it felt sluggish...after running caltex95 I now realize that the caltex 98 may have a problem...I have a more responsive v8 and never known it to start or run better....my gut feel is after 4 years,two Commodores it is fuel...fingers crossed

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
Hi guys, I'm starting to get this problem with (my12 ve ss wagon with 36,000ks) I told Holden about it before my last service just at the start of Feb, they said the battery might be on the way (replaced 2 weeks ago now) once I started it up before work it was sitting for 8-10 hours I got the same problem, I just got back from holiday with a week of not starting the car. When I turned the key I thought the car wasn't even going to fire that's how rough it sounded, I will be ringing Holden on Tuesday to see what they can do since its still under warranty and fingers crossed they can fix this. Will let everyone know what they say :)

Last edited:

Tjss01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss commodore
Hope you have a better experience with Holden then I did...they had no idea...said it was something I had done...no warranty....good luck