Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Redline - Cold Start Issues

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I've come to this conclusion too, used bp98 religiously up untill late last year I was getting ruff start ups, switched to Caltex a month or so ago and no issue since

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Mines a 2012 SSV that's started doing this on Shell 98 as of two months ago. She never started well on E85 from United but never had a drama with the Caltex version. Looks like I'll be trying a new fuel supplier to see if this clears up. Recently had her serviced but as you say, the sputter starts only from stone cold.

MrFeelgood

Blown 5.7 inch oops Ltr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR GTS
Just refueled from almost dead empty with United 98 drove to 180kms let the car sit overnight and its does exactly the same thing.

So for me BP98, Shell98 & United98 all cause the same problem so far.

Just out of curiosity can everyone advise how long ago they started having problems.

kazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12 VE SS V REDLINE SERIES 2 UTE
I'm having the same problem on cold start up too. I have 2012 manual VE Redline E85 eflex and it has just started do it, in the last week, every morning without fail! I run the Shell V power to. I might make a trip to Hoppers Crossing and fill with E85 as GTown doesn't no have the E85 fuel anywhere!!!! and see if I still have the problem. I have only once ran the E85 and I seemed to get better mileage from it and more grunt. I might have been dreaming about the mileage but I can say that it seemed to like the fuel or it ran better and smoother on it anyway. So I'm curious to see if it will still have the same problem if I run it through it again. I hate hearing it struggle for the few seconds in the morning :gun2:

MrFeelgood

Blown 5.7 inch oops Ltr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR GTS
Ok so now i've gone for a tank of 95 and have no starting issues what so ever. Starts perfect everyday.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I ran the tank down and went with Shell 95. She's turning over quite well now.

00campbell

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12.5 VE SS Z series 2 Wagon
yeah i've noticed the same, my wife filled the wagon up with 95 and not a drama then we switched back to caltex98 and boom struggle street again in the mornings. might just have to run it on 95 until i can get the Eflex disabled. anyone been running theirs on 95 for a while and have you noticed much difference in the car besides the starting issues?

dantheman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
this begs the question then, are they adding ethanol to 95 to bump the octane up and maximise the profit made between 91/95 and sell it as 98 ? now we've had a couple cold mornings in adelaide, my caltex 98 which i thought was ok when it was warmer is now doing the same thing

00campbell

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12.5 VE SS Z series 2 Wagon
this begs the question then, are they adding ethanol to 95 to bump the octane up and maximise the profit made between 91/95 and sell it as 98 ? now we've had a couple cold mornings in adelaide, my caltex 98 which i thought was ok when it was warmer is now doing the same thing

oh fuel companies wouldn't do that just to make some more money...:rofl2: hahahahahaha

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
In a 5th gear video they dynoed all the premium fuels and shell made the most power. I dunno if the stuff we get here is the same as the UK though.