Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Redline - Cold Start Issues

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
They've got no idea and since its a cold start issue you have to leave your ride with them overnight. They'll start it in the morning when you aren't there, say they cannot replicate the fault (even if it does sputter) and send you on your way.
I wouldn't bother, to be honest if you tell them many people are having problems with 98 RON cold starts they'll just tell you to use 95 RON. Which us a simple fix but doesn't address the issue that the car is not working as it is intended.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Just confirming, I've had 3 perfect cold starts now using Caltex 95.

I will try BP 95 next....

Those that are taking cars to Holden, can I respectfully suggest trying some different fuels like the rest of us are. Yes, our cars should handle 98 but at this stage, I don't think it's Holdens problem.

Is anyone getting these problems that don't have an E85 compatible vehicle?

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
just rang holden , they said to drop it off so they can test it for the cold start . so fingers crossed they figure it out or ill be frustrated

dantheman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Yesterday morning with less than 1/4 tank of 98 it started like crap after sitting 12 hours, put in 50+ litres of caltex 95, let it sit almost 24 hours and started spot on this morning like it used to.

Tjss01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss commodore
Just my experience....... 2014 my ve2 spent 2 months at Holden only being able to check on first start up every morning...battery,cam bearings,metal shaving in fuel tank,I wish I could remember all the bullshit Holden told me,as I said in previous thread engine was pulled apart to find nothing...they simply didn't know n still don't know.....anything to do with fuel is not covered by warranty...Holden made me feel I had to only ve that was like that, they blamed aftermarket exhaust system and cold air intake.
...only end of February this year I felt the same with VF ....when I tried this forum 2014 there wasn't any talk about it ....luckily this time a lot more talk and helped fixed problem...my opinion only...not using 98 anymore and Holden know that the flex fuel sensor isn't working properly with this fuel...as banjo79 said try 95 fuel before Holden

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Its a shame how 98 fuel is possibly causing these problems after it has a strong significants in the market. I filled up caltex 95 and hope it helps my cold start up problem.

Ill let everyone know how it goes :)

MrFeelgood

Blown 5.7 inch oops Ltr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR GTS
It does not matter which brand of 95, ive used 3 different brands and the car starts perfect.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
After filling up with Caltex 95 a week ago I've had perfect cold starts all week :)

Don't think I'll be going back to 98 for a while if this issue with there fuel isn't rectified

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Goes to show that the majority of 98RON in Australia all comes from the same place (Shell). I would be peeved if I had tuned my rides specifically for 98.

kazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12 VE SS V REDLINE SERIES 2 UTE
I sorted the cold start issue with my VE. I ran the tank as low as and filled with E85 ethanol and I don't have a cold start issue now. I've just refilled with United 98 premium fuel and still no issues. So my question is what are the fuel companies putting in the fuel now that we don't know about?