Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve sv6 seized engine

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
why should you be chasing service history, purchased in good faith from holden under their certified vehicle program (check the print and it has 100+ checks done) that s what was on mine', they are saying by accepting the vehicle into that program it meets their high standard and is a mechanically sound vehicle at time of sale, you also (proof from service records needed) have honoured you part by having it regularly serviced (by them I assume) so stand your ground, be polite, before you owned the vehicle is not your issue. only your issue from point of sale to you, meet your agreement as per service schedule, their problem.

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
I checked my oil before setting off on a trip, Moved my car out of the garage and was a loud ticking, pulled the dip stick out to find it bone dry aswell..
car as 34 000K's on the clock and was services at 30 000K's and took about 3L of oil. No warnings or anything holden said its nothing they can do.. Its now got 35K on the clock and has taken a over a liter of oil.
Its not blowing smoke or running bad it annoys the hell out of me
Anything i sound try? And No i dont trash my car

Request they do a oil consumption test, that way they documented how much oil is used over X amount of kilometers. My tests were done over 3,000km and I did about 6 before they replaced my engine.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
why should you be chasing service history, purchased in good faith from holden under their certified vehicle program (check the print and it has 100+ checks done) that s what was on mine', they are saying by accepting the vehicle into that program it meets their high standard and is a mechanically sound vehicle at time of sale, you also (proof from service records needed) have honoured you part by having it regularly serviced (by them I assume) so stand your ground, be polite, before you owned the vehicle is not your issue. only your issue from point of sale to you, meet your agreement as per service schedule, their problem.

Agree shouldn't even be a issue being a holden used car.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
I have a 2011 SV6 oil burner from brand new. Should have stuck with old cars.
Any one know what Holdens acceptable level of oil burning is.
Before 1st service was at low level on dip stick. I added about 1.3 lts to full
1ST service and consumption test using Mobile 1. Top of low level on stick at 7,000km later
Said to go back in 5,000. Should be safe but low. Will be 2 years old in a few months so factory warranty will end
but I have reported it and is documented but they don't write amounts of oil used on my copies

Last edited:

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Read my first thread brother, you are not alone.
I have gone down the path you are starting. My car has been checked, oil consumption tests etc etc.
Holdens acceptable oil usage over 10000 ks is 2.5litres, On my worst oil consumption test i burnt 1litre in 1000ks, but i did drive as if the car was stolen.lol
I have changed to the full synth Castrol Edge 5W30, prior Holden where using the semi synth 10W30. Much better, but I have noticed that once the oil starts to change colour, go darker, it will then start to use it, after about 6500ks, but I can live with that as I do change oil at 7500ks. I beleive that the SIDI's are pretty brutal on the oil, they burn hotter, they also go harder, so I suppose the price you pay for higher performance. But yeah keep on the dealers, dont let em forget about your issue, keep checking your oil. If you are burning a lot of oil after a freash oil change, I would be pushing hard on them, possibly as a few others on here, engine may be required to be replaced. It sucks I know, that is why i will probably be getting out of this vehicle and Holden have lost a loyal customer. It is not acceptable that Holden produce vehicles with so many common, known issues. I am 46 years old and have had many Holdens from EH to HG HJ to VL to VY to now a VE. I will never buy another Holden after this, that is it for me.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
I am still waiting after the results of my oil consumption test and what Holden thinks about it, now has been 6 months, still no contact etc. They dont care after they have sold the car to you, nothing has changed in over 25 years.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The alloy tech/sidi motors, if not serviced correctly are known to seize. We have had a few at work with issues like this. If you can't provide full service history, they may not cover the repairs under the new car warranty.

If the service history was not up to scratch, it should not have been sold as a Holden Certified used vehicle.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Yeah the car is impressive to drive but my previous wagon VY 11 Aclaim didn't use a drop, nothing wrong at 185,000km. My other vechles use no oil
Turbo Subie, 1198S Ducati, old R1 ex super bike but my brand new six cyl Holden would be empty between services. Shame really as they could have went out on a high if they didn't save money by dropping quality on the last of the real cars.

boomboombas

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 s2
update , a complete uturn by holden , now prepared to fully cover all repairs , still haven't told us exactly what they are replacing , id say bare minimum to get it going again well see, end of the day im bloody stoked that its not on my head to pay for the repairs , few months to go till factory warranty expires , so think ill flick off as soon as i get back in my hands.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
update , a complete uturn by holden , now prepared to fully cover all repairs , still haven't told us exactly what they are replacing , id say bare minimum to get it going again well see, end of the day im bloody stoked that its not on my head to pay for the repairs , few months to go till factory warranty expires , so think ill flick off as soon as i get back in my hands.

Good stuff man , that would be a huge relief for you . :beer chug::yahoo::dance: