Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE V6 timing chain - loosing tension - help

Glantman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon 3.0 SIDI
Hi Guys, 4th time with the engine apart for the timing chain (Yes I am getting faster at it, but also getting over it).
I am getting a knocking noise, so after much trials at swapping out parts, I have found the issue - the timing chain on Bank 1 keeps coming loose - see video attached where the tensioner is going in and out, and the chain is loose on the intake camshaft cog. Note - this video is with the engine cranking over without the sparkplugs in - so minimal resistance to rotation except for the cams/valves.
The second video is showing the loose chain when the crank is rotated by hand.
I am after thoughts as to the culprit (so I can put it together one last time and I get it right). My thoughts are:
1) tensioner is not working right (it shouldn't go back in that far BUT - the loose chain is on the driven side of the cam (the chain should be pulling downwards around the crankshaft driven pulley - keeping the tension on the chain?)
2) The new guides have something weird with them?
3) Wondered if the camshaft had additional resistance (worn bearing etc) but its not resisting rotating, the camshaft is getting ahead of the crankshaft......
4) Help?...

UPDATE: went with option 1 - couldn't get a new tensioner alone from Repco, only the complete kit (they said try Holden) so I put the old one back in - no problems anymore, no loose chain). Yay - put it all back together one last time.

Last edited: