Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve - Vf engine and ecu swap

Johnn3000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hey all, first post so go easy on me! Call me stupid if you like but I've put a bit of research into this and I'm thinking of quite a large project, and I'd just like some clarification and insight. My plan is to purchase a Ve sv6 commodore, and replace it's engine and ecu, including full wiring harness (and some of the interior) with one straight out of a Vf. So the ly7 engine to the lfx engine. Obviously this is going to be pricey, I'll need a lot of professionals to look at it constantly as I'm going along, and I'll need to make several modifications in order to make this work. My current thoughts are that I'll probably need a new fuel pump, may need to have the air con lines and system all upgraded, and the central locking system too. I'm unsure as to whether or not the added features like parallel parking will need anything further implemented, same goes with the electronic handbrake, or whether I'll need new driveshafts, etc, as I can't seem to find much info on it. If someone could help me out, call me a d*ckhead that doesn't know what he's on about, or what I'll need to make this work, that'd be fantastic, cheers!
Hey there just wondering if you had any success on this swap? I'm currently undergoing same thing. Trying to find things in forums becomes impossible when you ask for help and all people do is criticise your hopes. It is ten times cheaper to just swap things rather than buying a vf. Anything can be done at the end of the day with a bit of programming when you know someone. Let me know what you ended up doing and how you were successful.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It is ten times cheaper to just swap things rather than buying a vf.

Yeah, nah (at least not for an LY7 like OP wanted). Maybe if you have no value for your time and the amount of it you invest in something like this. Also, "programming" (whatever that is) will only take you so far on factory components if the looms/plugs, protocols used, and possibly ECU are totally different and don't even fit together, not to mention the entirely different injection system and all of the aforementioned ancillaries specific to each model that run the injection/SIDI system.

The point people were making was that he didn't have to buy a VF because there was already a VE that came from factory with an LFX (particularly with the budget he said was available to him and his specified application and how he was choosing to source parts), and given this thread was started almost 4 years ago it would be even more affordable than back then to pick one up and negated much of the "savings" he would have made with his particular budget.

Last edited:

Shane 3.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega sportswagon s2
I’ve read this whole post, what was outcome. I’m just trying to work a way to fit a 3.6 llt engine into my omega. I’m aware of computer needing to change but on the 3.6 itself, what could be changed from 3.0 to the 3.6 so computer could work. There must be sensors that could work it out. Cam sensors or where ever computer plugs into. They even fit Barra engines to commodores nowadays.