Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais suspension differences

VippiN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Hello oh knowledable people!

Can someone please confirm the suspension differences, if any, in the following VF Calais models?

Specifically, it would be interesting know if the Calais share same shock/springs. I've heard that the VF Calais have Evoke FE1 suspension then elsewhere said there were special FE1.5 fitted on the VF Calais. But I was unable to find a difference in part numbers when investigating - And if there are differences between the models, how does that effect ride height?

VF Series 1 Calais: FE1.5?
VF Series 2 Calais:
VF Series 1 Calais V:
VF Series 2 Calais V:

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’ve only ever read FE1.5, and for Calais V as well.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
what might make the VF Calais V feel firmer is the low profile wheels on the 19 inch rims. My VF Calais V felt very firm compared to my VE Calais but when I got the redline, the Calais V was softer.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
"Three suspension tunes are available with the Holden VF Commodore. The 'Touring' (or FE1) set-up is used on Evoke, Calais and Calais V; the 'Sport' FE2 is reserved for SV6, SS and SS V; and the 'Track' FE3 suspension is available on SS V Redline only.

Compared with the outgoing FE1 on VF Omega, and FE1.5 on Calais, the VF Evoke and Calais get a "tighter damper tune and larger stabiliser bars" than before. Larger bore struts with internal rebound springs are a unique addition on Calais models only. The new electro-mechanical steering set-up also gets a 'Touring' mapping, which is lighter than the sports models. All VFs share a faster on-centre steering ratio than VE, with speed dependant variable assistance."

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Hello oh knowledable people!

Can someone please confirm the suspension differences, if any, in the following VF Calais models?

Specifically, it would be interesting know if the Calais share same shock/springs. I've heard that the VF Calais have Evoke FE1 suspension then elsewhere said there were special FE1.5 fitted on the VF Calais. But I was unable to find a difference in part numbers when investigating - And if there are differences between the models, how does that effect ride height?

VF Series 1 Calais: FE1.5?
VF Series 2 Calais:
VF Series 1 Calais V:
VF Series 2 Calais V:
FE1.5 was a thing for VY2 and VZ Calais.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
what might make the VF Calais V feel firmer is the low profile wheels on the 19 inch rims. My VF Calais V felt very firm compared to my VE Calais but when I got the redline, the Calais V was softer.
The base VF Calais rides on 18" wheels and offers a much more compliant feel. The 19" on the Calais V models are borderline unbearable on broken roads.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Shame as the FE1 tune is slightly too soft I reckon especially in the V8.
I remember test driving a Calais V V8 years ago. I scared myself at more than one corner - the suspension just didn't match the acceleration. It was biased toward a soft ride. Calais (no V) just too soft.
Redline was hard work for me (weasel arms) for day to day traffic. I bought an SSV - a good balance.
Those were the days.........

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I remember test driving a Calais V V8 years ago. I scared myself at more than one corner - the suspension just didn't match the acceleration. It was biased toward a soft ride. Calais (no V) just too soft.
Redline was hard work for me (weasel arms) for day to day traffic. I bought an SSV - a good balance.
Those were the days.........
Yep it's a good set up for cruising and driving up to 6/10 but once you push past that it gets worry some.

Calais V8 is best driven for hard straight line runs to hear the V8 and for cruising.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
The base VF Calais rides on 18" wheels and offers a much more compliant feel. The 19" on the Calais V models are borderline unbearable on broken roads.
If you think FE1 with 19" rims is unbearable I have a magic carpet to sell you that glides through the air