Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF commodore motorsport edition

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
got a VF commodore motorsport edition, the factory suspension is too low, scratch the bottom almost overtime over the speedhump, wanna replace the factory spring with regular commodore spring is that gonna work?? or any idea I can lift up the car little bit??? thanks

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Aren’t the Motorsport Editions standard FE3 suspension but with the MRC shocks?

Wouldn’t know for certain, but I’m guessing that by changing the stock setup it may effect the Mag Ride qualities

iphonerleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Z SERIES
Aren’t the Motorsport Editions standard FE3 suspension but with the MRC shocks?

Wouldn’t know for certain, but I’m guessing that by changing the stock setup it may effect the Mag Ride qualities
yea it comes with FE3 suspension, but it has been lower from the factory, thinking of replace the springs with similar spring rate, but don't know the pros and cons, need advise tho

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Generally the FE3 and magnetic shocks are paired to work together, unsure how well stock height Evoke etc springs would work on it.

Also all V8 VF's (even the calais) were FE3 from memory which means that you'd probably need to go aftermarket springs if you want to go higher as the only heigher Holden springs would likely be Evoke, and those spring rates would be setup to suit the weight of the V6 not the V8. You might be able to use VE springs considering the weights are similar but I still don't think that will lift it up a noticable amount to get you out of trouble.

I have the same problem wiht the FE2 in my SV6 VE, the front bumper hangs so low it scrapes everywhere.....however I would rather it scrape than look like a 4x4 so I just take speed humps, carparks etc at a crawling pace.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
got a VF commodore motorsport edition, the factory suspension is too low, scratch the bottom almost overtime over the speedhump, wanna replace the factory spring with regular commodore spring is that gonna work?? or any idea I can lift up the car little bit??? thanks
I've never scrapped my Motorsport which sits at it's factory ride height.

As is, all the markettting material which Holden put out for the limited edition models, none of it indicated a lower road stance than the SSV Redline edition. Their blurb defined what upgrades were provided (as listed below:

Motorsport Edition – Limited to 1200 vehicles
Celebrating Commodore’s on-track success over the years, including over 460 Australian Touring Car Championship and V8 Supercars victories, Motorsport Edition comes with a range of styling enhancements. Red DRL surrounds, red mirror scalps* and unique red lined 20-inch forged alloy wheels complement unique Motorsport Edition decals supporting the special content under the skin.​
Key Features:​
  • Driver mode control featuring Magnetic Ride ControlTM. suspension, developed specifically for the Motorsport vehicles, offers three distinct settings: Tour, Sport and Performance
  • High rate rear sub-frame bush for improved confidence under maximum lateral and braking events
  • Cross-drilled brake rotors, front and rear – with charcoal Brembo calipers
  • Engine and transmission cooling packages
  • New performance front seats (heated)
  • Embroidered instrument panel
  • 20” Split forged alloy wheels/high performance tyres
  • Unique Motorsport Edition badging and decals
  • Unique lip spoiler (optional wing)
  • Phantom black roof
  • Individual vehicle numbering and unique build option code (KOM)
  • Commemorative presentation case
  • 1:18 Motorsport Edition Biante model

So suspension wise the motorsport edition upgrades were limited to magride shocks and stiffer rear subframe bushes but no documented change that impact ride height were made. And the below blurb was how they defined MRC.

The new MRC tune, developed exclusively for the Motorsport and Director vehicles, offers three distinct settings (Tour, Sport and Performance) that each provide unique performance capabilities. By developing a tune in house Holden has not only been able to replicate the acclaimed ride and handling balance of our FE2/FE3 tunes but also, by virtue of the broad range of MRC damper adjustability, extend the vehicles capability beyond that of our passive damper vehicles. The result is distinctly a performance Commodore, but with more ride comfort and superior handling to any that have come before.
The magride allowed twirling a knocb toallow variable behaviour from FE2 to FE3 . The mortosport and being the "upgrades" from the redline so what are the front and rear hights like?
yea it comes with FE3 suspension, but it has been lower from the factory, thinking of replace the springs with similar spring rate, but don't know the pros and cons, need advise tho
Not sure what you mean but if you've been scrapping you or the previous owner must have lowered the car post purchase :rolleyes:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My VE with FE3 doesn't scrape anywhere.

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
My VF ute has FE3 now and could go a lot lower...it rides fairly high ( handles awesome though ) My VF2 had FE3 but I've lowered it since. FE3 isn't particularly low.. your judder bars must be fkn huge over there..or your car has been lowered at some point

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
I have the same problem wiht the FE2 in my SV6 VE, the front bumper hangs so low it scrapes everywhere...
That's odd. FE2 isn't as low as FE3 so should be miles off scraping anything. Are you sure it's not just 'bumper sag'? lol
Seriously tho..you shouldn't be scraping the front bar..is your splash guard/bar support still fitted under the front end? ( haven't owned a VE but im assuming they have the same underbody plastics as VF )

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Generally the FE3 and magnetic shocks are paired to work together, unsure how well stock height Evoke etc springs would work on it.

Also all V8 VF's (even the calais) were FE3 from memory which means that you'd probably need to go aftermarket springs if you want to go higher as the only heigher Holden springs would likely be Evoke, and those spring rates would be setup to suit the weight of the V6 not the V8. You might be able to use VE springs considering the weights are similar but I still don't think that will lift it up a noticable amount to get you out of trouble.

I have the same problem wiht the FE2 in my SV6 VE, the front bumper hangs so low it scrapes everywhere.....however I would rather it scrape than look like a 4x4 so I just take speed humps, carparks etc at a crawling pace.
Not all V8s have FE3…VF2 SS is FE2