Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Door Speaker Install with pics

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Keep us posted. What are you running in the rear?

I'll check the level of improvement before buying the two-way version for the rear

Martyr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
My local Car Audio guy wants to sell me $4k for a system and cant even list the products in an email or on paper... Came down from $5.2k

I'm thinking closeer to $1k would suit my needs as a DIY project. How would that best be divided?

$600 4* speakers
$150 Clarion micro amp :)
skip the signal processor
$??? Under seat sub+amp? (I like the boot clear of crap)

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can confirm that the Morel Maximus 602 are well worth the $300 and are fine as a direct swap

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I installed them myself. I reused the OEM speaker mount just like the OP, but instead of screwing the speaker to it, I used a thick bead of silicone adhesive because a: the mount is very thin plastic and b: the speaker is just a little too wide, Using the silicone fills this gap and acts like a very firm cushion for the speaker.

I would say these Morel Maximus are designed for sound quality not for outright volume, they are only rated at 60wrms. This means you could amplify them if you want them LOUD, but I've found a huge improvement in sound quality and more than acceptable volume.

The stock speakers were so bad, that I never enjoyed any music in the car. Until last week, when I went for a long drive by myself, I thought that the v8 soundtrack would be enough but sadly the novelty has worn off already.

I would recommend the Morel's if you are going to install yourself, as you can easily see whether they will be ok for you without any extra amplification, and then buy an amp and fit it afterwards.

BOOF308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 2008
I would recommend the Morel's if you are going to install yourself, as you can easily see whether they will be ok for you without any extra amplification, and then buy an amp and fit it afterwards.
Do the speakers come with crossover boxes and if so did you use them? Also what do you think of speaker mounts Aerpro - APS288.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
they have passive crossovers (capacitors), not active crossovers.

those Aerpro mounts look good, and would save about 10 mins.

EDIT: 10 min if you screw to the factory mount. since I used silicone adhesive, I let it dry overnight. The silicone sounds bodgy but it turned out very clean, strong and won't ever rattle.

lucas c

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfss s1 2013
hey guys mighta been answered already but i have a vf ss sedan and its got jl audio subs amp speakers etc hooked up to standard my link stearo from previous owner i took it to autobarn to get it tuned cause sounded crap but they said someone has profesionlly installed it but just seems like they waked it in blind folded but anyway we took passenger door trim off and the speaker and tweeter are toghther and tweeter cone was blown so my ? is are the speaker and tweeter meant to be in door trim toghter? autobarn told me i should put tweeter up in the pillar ? sound right ya rekon and the pillar has the stock speakers still and sounds like the centre speaker on dash is not connected aswell. should i leave centre speaker off? what would ppl reccomend and its only got one monoblock amp to subs but ppl are telling me a second amp will get engine noise ? or would a 2nd amp be ok ? ive taken left tweeter out and left drivers in and sounds ok just askin what setup should i do and its got the dynomat in door but can it go in boot lid and parcel shelf cause sounds crap

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
Ok. To start off. The stock tweeter is in the a pillar. I assume previous owner was lazy and just put new speakers in door so had 2 tweeters working at once. Not a good idea. Put in some good splits. I would recommend morel if the budget allows. Leave the centre speaker unplugged. You can dynomat everything and anything really. If it rattles put dynomat on it. In my VE. I did the doors the boot the parcel shelf, the a, b, c pillars. Also have 2 amps in the ve works great. Clarion micro under dash for the speakers, jbl in the boot for the sub... if the wiring is done right i cant see any issues. Also if u have an parcel shelf subs there crap, dont bother trying to imorove them